Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not into Social Networking sites?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

I am not much into social sites but joined up with a couple at the insistence of my kids.

However, I just read the article below by Matthew D. Sarrel, and immediately went along to FaceBook and MySpace to register my username so that it cannot be used by anyone else to possibly get me into strife. Probably unnecessary but better safe than sorry. Not something I had ever thought about before.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343484,00.asp

Cheers, Rob

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

Well I have to say that is interesting, I don't have any of those sort of accounts like Facebook, MySpace or Twitter and wasn't even planning on getting one either I wasn't too interested in it all, I think I might get them all now having read that although when registering on Facebook (Doing that as I write this post) you don't put your Username on like here you actually put your real first and last name on, not sure if MySpace is the same, but still good information to know :thumbsup:

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:01 AM

All a person can do is make a false profile. I do not think it can be used to harm us in any other way (like financially)

Actually, I think it can be harmful the other way around. Anyone can get your real name(Facebook's policy is to use real names only), your pictures and where you live easily from these sites. A psycho mind can even observe you through your posts. Then he/she can easily create a fake id card using that.

Recently some terrorists caught in UK said that they searched matrimonial ad sites for photos and names, then used them to create fake ids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users