Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevent your browser connecting to a Conficker site

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

So far, Conficker has not been a great problem in North America or down in my part of the world, but it is pretty easy to prevent your browser connecting to a Conficker infested site.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but is worth repeating. If you use OPENDNS as your preferred Domain Name Server, rather than the one automatically provided by your ISP, you have a much better chance of preventing infection.

To do this, right click on your internet connection and select Properties. Find and highlight TCP/IP and select Properties again. Click the button for preferred DNS and enter 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in the boxes. That's it.

I have used OpenDNS for a number of years now and never had a problem with it. You can check out their other free services at www.opendns.com

Cheers, Rob

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:16 AM

I had been using OpenDNS for a year. Now my ISP seems to disconnect me when I use OpenDNS.

#3 RobertG

RobertG

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

So far, Conficker has not been a great problem in North America or down in my part of the world, but it is pretty easy to prevent your browser connecting to a Conficker infested site.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but is worth repeating. If you use OPENDNS as your preferred Domain Name Server, rather than the one automatically provided by your ISP, you have a much better chance of preventing infection.

To do this, right click on your internet connection and select Properties. Find and highlight TCP/IP and select Properties again. Click the button for preferred DNS and enter 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in the boxes. That's it.

I have used OpenDNS for a number of years now and never had a problem with it. You can check out their other free services at www.opendns.com

Cheers, Rob

You could also modify your host file to point all dns names and ips back 127.0.0.1. Which is just as good. spyware blaster is free proggie that stops most of the bad ip and known sites. Easy to update runs in the background.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:24 AM

Cheers, Rob

You could also modify your host file to point all dns names and ips back 127.0.0.1. Which is just as good. spyware blaster is free proggie that stops most of the bad ip and known sites. Easy to update runs in the background.

If you pointed all IPs back to 127.0.0.1 you wouldn't be able to go to any site.

Though it is true you wouldn't connect to a Conficker site :thumbsup:

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:02 AM

Speaking of 127.0.0.1, all sites that have been added to my host files by Spybot have this 127.0.0.1 listed for them. I have always been confused about the why on this but after reading the post above, I see now that it is so I cannot connect to them.

Thank you Blade for ending my confusion.

Also, in regards to what Robert said, I did not think Spyware Blaster ran in the background, it does not on my system

Edited by Stang777, 02 May 2009 - 12:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users