Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloading music

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jrv

jrv

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Do you mean downloading for free?

Edited by o_rly, 17 April 2009 - 05:29 PM.

Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

Do you mean downloading for free?

Yes. for free. My teenagers downloaded lime wire , BUT............... so then I removed it .

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

I don't know if BC allows discussions of pirated music.

Anyway, I consider all these P2P networks unsafe, on which people "share" music, games, software etc. These networks have crapload of malwares disguised as normal applications and even mp3 files. Its not uncommon to have file names like
"Britney Spears - Circus.mp3									  .exe"

And I am not putting as many spaces as these pirates put.

You download it, easger to listen to FREE and latest music. You double click on it as soon as download completes. Bang! If your Antivirus doesnt catch it, as these are custom made (sometimes self made trojans and malwares), your computer becomes a victim.

Edited by Romeo29, 17 April 2009 - 08:33 PM.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Limewire from my experiences is by far the MOST DANGEROUS, yet most popular, form of P2P file sharing. Even if it is for legal purposes. Your topic will most likely be closed for discussing illegal, pirated material however. If you are to continue using P2P programs, at least scan the files after download with an Anti-Virus program and Anti-Spyware program but you are still probably getting some nasties in the process.

Edit: If your teens are using Limewire, please post a topic in the Am I Infected? forum, because you most likely are pretty infected.

Edited by xblindx, 17 April 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

I am shifting this to the Other Applications forum.

Please note that there is music available for download for free that is not pirated. The problem with P2P is that even if the P2P program is clean, you can't be sure that the computers the music is coming from is free of infection.

I'm going to see if I can get someone with more knowledge than I to address this topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Limewire from my experiences is by far the MOST DANGEROUS, yet most popular, form of P2P file sharing. Even if it is for legal purposes. Your topic will most likely be closed for discussing illegal, pirated material however. If you are to continue using P2P programs, at least scan the files after download with an Anti-Virus program and Anti-Spyware program but you are still probably getting some nasties in the process.

Edit: If your teens are using Limewire, please post a topic in the Am I Infected? forum, because you most likely are pretty infected.

Thanks to all who replyed. I didn't know we couldn't discuss this topic.so if it must be removed, ok.
And also, the teenagers I was talking abt are my granddaughters. So I can't control what they do at home , but I removed Lime wire from My computer. A little too late I think.
I will tell the about this tho.
Thanks

#8 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

When dealing with potential copyright violations, you'll find that most respectable communities will balk at discussing the topic. That's because of the potential liability issues. Now with that said, there were some very good points raised in this topic by Romeo29 and xblindx.

P2P Networks are used as vectors of infection because of the large userbase. The people responsible for the distributed malware know and use this to their advantage. The fact that many teenagers and young adults use those networks is also not lost on the malware writers. People in this demographic typically aren't very security savvy on the internet. The malware writers will tend to attempt to lure people into downloading their files by using various social engineering tactics such as adding spaces to file names to hide the true nature of the files (extensions). They will even more often name those same files in such a way that they become extremely desirable. Either by using a popular song name, a popular movie title, or the promise of some pictures of celebrities. Some also use names of popular programs and applications. That is done not only to lure the person into downloading the file, but also to lure them into executing it (double click will do nicely on most of those). Once executed, infection settles in. There are all kinds of nasty infections running rampant on P2P networks, from regular simple adware to rootkits and backdoors, you have it all on there.

These are all reasons that most helpers suggest removing P2P applications altogether, as the risk far outweighs the benefits.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

AFAIK mp3's and wma's only infect you by tricking you into downloading a player/codec which is the actual infector.

And then rely on windows media player

Edited by DaChew, 18 April 2009 - 11:27 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

While the above is true, that is only if the files are actually mp3s/wmas. :thumbsup:

And Media Player is a component of every Windows install and by default is highly exploitable, especially if the computer doesn't have all patches installed...
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

While the above is true, that is only if the files are actually mp3s/wmas.

Keeping people in the dark by defaulting to hide file extensions is one of the worst security breaches ever pawned off on the unsuspecting public.

And Media Player is a component of every Windows install and by default is highly exploitable, especially if the computer doesn't have all patches installed...

I consider media player unpatchable, too much user experience
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

One little note to add (as I ran into this the other weekend at a friends place) Some AV programs don't pick up the "codec's" mentioned above for some reason (my guess was his settings) .

And I find Windows in general unpatchable.

Best places to download them from Itunes or CDwarehouse/F.Y.E. (buy used CD's 3 for the price of 2 and rip your own)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 18 April 2009 - 07:13 PM.

Posted Image

#13 reinmar

reinmar

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

where can i download music for free and safe from viruses??

if BC cant talk about this it okay. you can remove my post..

ECE MANIACS

#14 Machinery

Machinery

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:01 AM

Just download from YouTube and convert them to mp3s.
!!Sorry if I'm breaking any rules.!!
Posted Image

#15 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

http://newtechnoid.blogspot.com/

http://www.redferret.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php