Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious about Netbooks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drm45

drm45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

I read an article recently about how Netbook sales are going to increase by 80% in 2009. I never really understood the use of them, because they are so week in performace, but recently decided to check them out because of the unique uses I have heard people use them for. I think I am going to purchase a Dell Netbook to see what uses I can have for them. They are pretty cheap. However, before I do this I wanted to hear what uses you people have had or use for netbooks.

This article had said that they are becoming useful recipe books in the kitchen. What do you think?

DRM
Home of the Simplified Geek Podcast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

I just helped set up a senior citizen neighbor with one. They were used to a high end PDA. But found the small screen and cramped quarters of the device a bit much on elder eyes. It's an email and web-search PDA with built in keyboard. As long as you don't expect it to be a screaming machine it's a handy device with greater flexibility than a PDA.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

I have one I keep at work to care of things I want done and I don't have to use the company computer to do them. I also take it on vacation so I can keep up with my email, load pictures of vaca on it and I can surf the net when at my motel room... yes, motel, I ain't payin all that money for a hotel.... :flowers:

edit.... I read it wrong, I have a notebook.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 18 April 2009 - 10:42 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

Our family has one. I don't like to use it. I'm long sighted (I can see better from a distance) so its a bit of a pain for me to use it since I have to sit further back. But they're good for simple everyday tasks such as web browsing, email, word processing, listening to music, IM etc. I personally wouldn't use a netbook as my primary computer, as they lack many things such as CD/DVD drives (I have read about some now coming with these, but they wouldn't be that great), extremely large hard disk capabilities and the power to handle high resource activities such as gaming and video editing.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#5 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

I purchased a Samsung NC10 netbook about a 6 weeks ago. It is not my primary computer. I have a Dell Dimension desktop with a wide screen monitor that is a workhorse (my main machine loaded with my resource-hog programs), but it is located upstairs in another room.

Since moving most of my banking to online payments and wanting to check my school email (web-based) regularly, I found it a chore to run up and down stairs frequently. We have a desk in our kitchen where I regularly pay all of our bills, so I purchased this netbook, set it up on the desk, connected to our wireless network and no longer have to run upstairs when I'm doing my banking. It's also real handy for quickly connecting to the internet when I need to look up store hours or just read the BC forums.

For the $399 that I paid for this little machine that is no larger than a piece of standard notebook paper, it's a great convenience and loaded with features. I can quickly pull pictures from my camera card (built-in SD card reader) or recharge my iPod (two USB 2.0 ports). With 1 GB of RAM that can easily be upgraded to 2 GB of RAM, it handles everything I need it to do. I've installed Office 2003 Pro on it as well as Macromedia Fireworks (for photo editing). It's a little over 2 lbs., has a 7 to 8 hour battery life, fits in my purse, and is easy to use. This model has Bluetooth capabilities and a built-in camera, which my Dell Dimension does not. Plus, these come standard with Win XP, and since I am not a Vista lover, it was a no-brainer.

The drawbacks: yes, netbooks do have a smaller screen (this one has a 10.1") than normal laptops and there is no optical drive, so installing software can be a bit of a challenge. I have been able to work around those issues, though. All in all, it's been worth the money and I enjoy the convenience of having it. As a primary computer it would not suit my needs, but as a secondary piece of equipment, it's a fabulous tool.

#6 hulander

hulander

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:33 AM

I think that if wanna buy a netbook then i will suggest you that you should not buy a netbook with atom processor since it is too slow but ya if the netbook is available with core duo 2 processor then you should definitely go for it..Posted Image
Technology Lover...Posted Image

#7 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

I haven't been able to find a netbook on the market that doesn't have an Atom processor. This is one of the reasons that WinXP is the operating system that is loaded on these systems (not Vista).

I have had my netbook for over 3 months now and used it for a variety of tasks (editing and updating websites using Dreamweaver 8, multiple tasks in Word and Excel, photo and graphic construction and editing using Fireworks 8) and have never had any issues whatsoever with it being able to handle what I needed it to do. The Samsung I have has the capability to easily be upgraded to 2 GB of RAM, but I have left it with the 1 GB of RAM that was installed at the factory. I haven't found the need to upgrade at all. My only issue at all is the small screen because that can sometimes be a hindrance, but come on -- this was a $399 piece of equipment, so I'm not griping too loudly. Some people pay that much for their phones!

If you really want a much faster processor with all the bells and whistles, then buy a traditional laptop that weighs 4 times as much, has only a 2-3 hour battery life, and sets your wallet back much more. For what these netbooks are intended to be used for, they are a great buy (IMHO).

#8 KRose

KRose

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

I've an Asus EEE PC 1000HE running XP, two 70G drives and 2G RAM, and it's really wonderful. I haven't found differences really, it seems as fast as anything else running XP, maybe faster. I'm sure the 2Gs make a difference.
The differences, like the screen and keyboard size were very easy to get used to, and the battery life and light weight is something I really love. I can run videos and play music for hours and it's never given me less than 6 hours. (7 is probably possible, but I always plug in after 6h)
The lack of CD drive I've never found to be a problem, and it's not hard to use a drive simulator and cd image files/usb/sd card instead.
The only thing that bugs me is the weak speakers. They just can't blast heavier music. But I don't think any laptop has good speakers, right? Anyways, headphones solve this problem. I don't think it's something you can really run certain games on but it's possible for some. The Internet, videos, music, word processing run like any other laptop.
I definitely recommend this computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users