Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating BIOS from Live CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

I was wonding if it is possiable to update a BIOS from a LIVE CD like Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows (UBCD4WIN). I don't want to brick the borad trying to do it. I have a bad Hardrive and don't want to have to reinstall an os just to do it.

Thanks,
uByte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

It may work, depending on the BIOS updater. I don't suggest updating a BIOS from within Windows even under the best of circumstances. BIOS updating is risky in itself, doing it with Windows running can cause problems. Almost all motherboards allow for the BIOS to be updated using a bootable disc, like a floppy or CD.

Asus BIOS Updating Procedure

Edited by DJBPace07, 17 April 2009 - 04:05 PM.

3939.png

#3 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

well there is no other way. the only way is through windows. here is the computer I am working on bios. HP

Could I just boot off a floppy or thumb drive with the exe on it and run it from that? Normally I just do what it says because I don't want to brick the board.

uByte

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

The executable may require Windows components to run, if that is the case, running it under a DOS environment will not work. You can try running the exe from within the Live CD environment, but there are no guarantees. If the BIOS updating program is a stand alone application and the BIOS update itself are both included in the executable, it is possible that the Live CD can work. Why are you updating the BIOS anyway? The issues it solves seem relatively minor.

3939.png

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

Updating the BIOS is a bit risky under the best conditions.
Why would you want to add to the risk by even trying to update from a "live CD" ???

If you mess up the BIOS the computer is not going to work & you may end up having to replace the motherboard.

Why not update the BIOS the way the utility was designed to be used instead of risking the motherboard with a "Live CD" .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 18 April 2009 - 04:50 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

Update.

First of all the reason for me doing it is just odd things that are happening with the computer. I try to boot vista and it BSOD's on me. Then I try a new hard drive and run a reinstall of vista and it BSOD's on me. I run a check disk on both drives and they come back clean.

That being said I found out that there has been issues with this model laptop and hp will fix it for free. (this link) tells all.

Thanks for all the help.

uByte

#7 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

I was some how able to get it to boot up on another hard drive and update the bios from there. I think I will leave the updating a bios for an old computer that i don't care if it gets bricked.

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users