Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Volume Information infection won't go away

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 ttvmupt

ttvmupt

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hello. I am looking for some hints in order to get rid an infection that just won't go away; i noticed during a routine defrag a bunch of exe files (A0000451.exe and others alike) in the SVI folders on my partitions; I can't access the folders, an "access denied" message is displayed and they appear to be empty [0kb].

The steps I followed were more or less dictated by previous encounters with a similar problem

1. Hijackthis log - confrunted with some online tutorials about it, , I think it looks clean :thumbup2: ; anyway, here it is

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:13:18 PM, on 4/17/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.ro/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe" -H
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (mnmsrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mnmsrvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Washer AutoComplete (wwSecSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe

--
End of file - 3115 bytes

Quite small as it is a fresh Win install, it's only got some bare necessities

2. Lavasoft Ad-aware AE free detected and resolved a bunch of tracking cookies and a suspicious unwash6.exe [it was removed]; Spybot S&D detected no infections at all; Super anti spyware free detects Adware.Vundo and fixes it, but the SVI folders aren't fixed, they still can't be accessed. SpySweeper free detected an impressing amount of spyware [but, being free, it does nothing about it. I just wanted to see what multiple scans reveal].
3. Ran About Buster and Cleanup in safe mode; About buster detected nothing, Cleanup did do some cleaning, but not completely.
4. Found a suggestion as to turn off restore points hoping the bad ones will go away as well; it didn't happen, SVI problem persists.
5. Combofix [it was a last resort and i ran it on my own. Quite a while back I had a trojan infection and after several attempts to remove it, it went away but still leaving behind a similar situation for SVI - couldn't access or remove them, though they were [at the time] detected; but back then, CF took care of the problem]. Now, alas, the situation persists.

So, these are the steps I took so far with just a partial result. On that note, could it work to just force the SVI folders' deletion and to recreate them afterward? Restore points are turned off... do SVI have other utility besides this one? Google said no :)

Thanks for any suggestions, much obliged,
B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ttvmupt

ttvmupt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

I guess it's solved. I gained access to SVI folders and removed the pesky exe files; ran multiple scans afterward, bitdefender 10 free, avg free, karspersky online and there were no infections detected, other then some tracking cookies. Anyway, if someone has any idea as to why turning off restore points didn't empty those folders, please let me know. It's intriguing.

#3 ttvmupt

ttvmupt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

I was being optimistic; next restart after I had restore points turned on, those A0000xxx.exe files were back; so what causes them to appear? So... Spybot S&D, KAspersky online, Malwarebytes' AM, Avira Personal Free, Lavasoft Ad-Aware AE Free... none of them reveal the slightest trace of infiltration. Can anyone explain what I am up against?
B.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hi

My name is Extremeboy (or EB for short), and I will be helping you with your log.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a description of your problem, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

If you do not make a reply in 5 days, we will need to close your topic.

You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favourites. Alternatively, you can click the Posted Image button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic. The topics you are tracking can be found here.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.
  • Please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply.
  • Old topics are closed after 3 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.
If you still require assistance post a new set of DDS Logs and a description of any remaining problems or symptoms you may still have please.

If for any reason you did not post a DDS log please refer to this page and in step #6 there is instructions on downloading and running DDS. IF you have any problems just let me know in your next reply or simply post a Hijackthis log.

Thanks again and we apologzie for the delay.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 5-7 from the day I replied, the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding. :thumbup2:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hello.

Due to Lack of feedback, this topic is now Closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please Send Me a Message. In your message please include the address of this thread in your request.
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please start a new topic in the Hijackthis-Malware Removal forum.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users