Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Start Up Issues/ Moved

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 db3916

db3916

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

Having difficulty starting Windows XP Pro successfully.
When booting up, one of the following will occur:

1. Achieve desktop, but actions/commands are frozen - no keys or mouse clicks will work
2. Will occasionally get "restore active desktop" however once again, no ability to click on any icon successfully

Can start in safe mode, have run Antivirus software and Malware scans from there. Found a few old worms and one virus that were eliminated.

Cannot get back to standard/normal start up however.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

DB,

It seems like you are saying that you cannot perform any functions when and if you are able to successfully log into your computer, not in Safe Mode. Have you been able to open or run any programs in normal start-up at all? Also, what AV software have you used and what Malware scans did you run? Do you have a log file of what was removed? Or at least the file names of the infections?

Eric
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hello db3916,

I think it might be a good idea to make sure that you are infection free since you mentioned you

Found a few old worms and one virus that were eliminated.

Therefore, I am moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum.

Please post the MalwareBytes log you ran earlier so folks versed in such matters can make a better determination of what further may need to be done.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 db3916

db3916
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

Unable to record the names of the virus and worm as the applications did not store it in quarantine as requested, for some reason (safe mode?)

Using Malware Bytes and Avast as tools.

Thanks again in advance!

DB

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Hello lets run another scan,an online scan.
It won't remove adware but will trojans and virii.

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

Next Rerun MBAM

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Edited by boopme, 18 April 2009 - 09:22 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users