Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad infection. Rootkit?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Surpriser

Surpriser

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hello all.

I'm officially clueless.
I noticed I can't run regedit. Nod32 also started to act weird (found a trojan, cleaned it and after restart the program won't start anymore).
I ran Combofix and Nod32 re-installation was successful. It also fixed the regedit ...
Until I restarted the PC.
Nod32 still doesn't work nor the regedit.

I ran Hijackthis and it also can't be opened. When I ran Combofix again, I was able to ran HJT. Suspicious files (in my opinion): EMBZPPN in system32 folder, wpv051239875029.exe (declared missing), adsnwd.exe (unknown owner)

My findings (System: Win XP SP2 32-bit)
- regedit works in safemode
- combofix does not work in safemode
- everything else is working fine
- I ran S&D, AVG, AdAware in both modes - they found (and cured) something but the problem remains.

It seems that the infection is present after rebooting - but not in safe mode.

I can provide both, HJT and Combofix logs.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Surpriser

Surpriser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

Hmm ... I lurked arround for a few moments and tried Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware. Ran a quick scan and ... regedit and HJT are now working. Windows security Center is not alerting that there is no virus protection. Great!

Is there a way to recheck if everything else is OK and clean? ;)

#3 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

Welcom to the forum :thumbsup:

As you managed to get Malwarebytes program up and running what you could do is post the report from that program for checking ?

Maybe even fully update the program, run it on a quick scan then the log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply for someone to check over for you and exit MBAM :flowers:

#4 Surpriser

Surpriser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

Hello!

I guess I was pretty naive. It seems this is a nasty rootkit!
After rebooting I tried to run regedit again. It worked. I stopped checking and went to another PC (yes, sadly, I have two computers infected). Since I was not able to fix this one, I went back to the first one ...
The regedit was working because I ran it a few seconds before every other icons appeared on the taskbar!

Facts I discovered and programs I have run:
- Combofix does not run anymore (not in safemode, not in normal mode).
- Installed Spybot and Teatimer. Funny, Teatimer should not allow any entries in the registry but yet - there are two entries in the log file without question asked!
- I made a Bitdefender BootCD (based on Knoppix), updated the database and search the entire system It deleted some infected files and entries, less than 10.
- S&D always finds the same threats and remove them
- I also ran SuperAntiSpyWare, several threats have been removed
- After the cleaning with Malwarebytes program everything works normal - UNTIL REBOOTING!
- Occasionally there was this Avenger log with all the entries Malwarebytes program has removed (!)

I can provide a Malwarebytes log (I`m on a third PC now), there are 90 executables (nod32, regedit.exe, ....) that were hijacked.

Is there something I can do cause I really don`t want to format the system and I`m running out of ideas!

Thank you.

Edited by Surpriser, 18 April 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#5 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

You say you have two computers infected?

Are they stand-alone or connected ?

To give Members an idea of what is going on , can you please post the report from the Malwarebytes program for someone to check for you

Also , do you have a report from the Superantispyware program for someone to check for you ?

#6 Surpriser

Surpriser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

They are not connected but I work on them every day and sometimes transferring files via USBkey or email.

The log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1992
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

18.04.2009 12:22:42
mbam-log-2009-04-18 (12-22-42).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 76342
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 90
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avp.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AVCONSOL.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AVP32.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KAV32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KAVPFW.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Navapsvc.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Navapw32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\NAVNT.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\navw32.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\NAVWNT.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SCAN32.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ZONEALARM.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\filemon.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\outpost.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\regmon.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\zapro.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\autoruns.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avgrssvc.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AvMonitor.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avp.com (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\CCenter.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\HijackThis.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KASMain.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KASTask.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KAVDX.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KAVStart.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KPFW32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KPFW32X.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\nod32krn.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\regedit.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\KAVPF.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\OllyDBG.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\procexp.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\regtool.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\nod32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\niu.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\A2SERVICE.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AVGNT.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AVGUARD.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AVSCAN.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\bdagent.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\CASECURITYCENTER.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\EKRN.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\FAMEH32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\FPAVSERVER.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\FPWIN.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\FSAV32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\FSGK32ST.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\FSMA32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\vsserv.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\drwadins.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\drwebupw.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\GFRing3.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ArcaCheck.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arcavir.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ashDisp.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ashEnhcd.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ashServ.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ashUpd.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\aswUpdSv.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avadmin.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avcenter.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avcls.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avconfig.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avz.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avz4.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avz_se.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\bdinit.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\caav.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\caavguiscan.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ccupdate.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cfp.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cfpupdat.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cmdagent.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DRWEB32.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\fpscan.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\guardgui.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\guardxservice.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\guardxup.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\navigator.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\NAVSTUB.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Nvcc.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\preupd.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pskdr.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SfFnUp.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Vba32arkit.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\vba32ldr.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Zanda.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Zlh.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\zoneband.dll (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by Surpriser, 18 April 2009 - 07:22 AM.

#7 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

I think it would be helpful if you can post the entire report including the header

Do you think it wise to be transfering information between the two of them ?

#8 Surpriser

Surpriser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

I think it would be helpful if you can post the entire report including the header

Do you think it wise to be transfering information between the two of them ?

I edited the post.

If I would have known that one of them was infected, I wouldn not transfer the information. :thumbsup:

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hello Surpriser,

Given what tools you've already run, I think it would be best for you to create a new topic in the HiJack This forum. I will provide instructions for that shortly.

First, I want to comment on this:

When I ran Combofix

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

. . . CF does make some alterations to your system if you run it. Even if you had no malware removed and run the uninstall command, some things may be different now on your system. I can tell you that one thing is that all your restore points will be flushed out and a new one created. There is a good reason to do that when you have a severe infection--but if you aren't infected you might need those restore points.

Read and abide by the disclaimer people. It's there for a reason. Stick to running and protecting yourself with a good AV and firewall and an anti-malware scanner or two. If you feel you need a second opinion, try running online scans. If you feel you might need surgery, come here to BC and ask for help--that is what we're here for.

From: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1159014

That said, please retain the ComboFix logs as the HJT Team helper may request them. As for posting the new topic in the HiJack This forum:

You need to follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== and post the link to your new topic as a response here.

If you cannot produce the DDS logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Surpriser

Surpriser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hello!

Thank you all for your help.

After all I have written I also did this:
- ran F-secure online scanner (found some viruses and delete them)
- ran Emsisoft`s A-Squared Anti-Malware 4.0 (found some executables -A0052531.bat, A00553847.exe ... and remove them) See the log.

All the hijacked programs are now working, even after 10 reboots.

Further more, to be sure that infection is gone, I did this:
- disable System restore points on all drives
- rerun all the programs I have used before (F-secure, S&D, Malwarebyte`s AM, A-Squared).
- reboot
- rerun all the programs again
- enable System restore.

Both PCs are now working flawlessly. Well, they worked well before - except for the 90 hijacked executables ... :flowers:

I hope that`s the end of it. :thumbsup:

a-squared Anti-Malware - Version 4 logfile:
Value: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-813497703-725345543-1003\Software\MSA --> 111 detected: Trace.Registry.MS Antivirus(MSA)!A2
Value: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-813497703-725345543-1003\Software\MSA --> 546 detected: Trace.Registry.MS Antivirus(MSA)!A2
Value: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-813497703-725345543-1003\Software\BST\bsplayerv1 --> AppPath detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Value: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-813497703-725345543-1003\Software\BST\bsplayerv1 --> AppVer detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayCDAudioOnArrival --> BSplayerCDDA detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\BSplayerCDDA --> Action detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\BSplayerCDDA --> DefaultIcon detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\BSplayerCDDA --> InvokeProgID detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\BSplayerCDDA --> InvokeVerb detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\BSplayerCDDA --> Provider detected: Trace.Registry.BSplayer!A2
Key: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-813497703-725345543-1003\software\kazaa detected: Trace.Registry.KaZaA!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@adserver.pctools[2].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.adserv!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@community.impresscms[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.com!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@compatdb[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.com!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@computing[2].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.com!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@com[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.com!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@ebay.com[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.ebay.com!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@please[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.please!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@poptv[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.pop!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@rubiconproject[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.rub!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Cookies\user@showit[1].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.showit!A2
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4L634JQD\load[1].exe detected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Injecter!IK
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\614LQP4J\readme[1].pdf detected: Exploit.PDF-JS!IK
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{2B3205C3-557E-4DD4-9771-C20897E85557}\RP292\A0052531.bat detected: Trojan-Proxy.Win32.Small!IK
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{2B3205C3-557E-4DD4-9771-C20897E85557}\RP309\A0053847.exe detected: Trojan.Crypt!IK

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 November 2009 - 08:42 AM.
Member requested edit. ~ OB

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hi Surpriser,

I will be taking your case from here. If you have any questions please ask.

Let's start with an updated Malwarebytes log. Please update malwarebytes and post a log according to these instructions.

On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#12 Surpriser

Surpriser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

Hi Rigel,

As I said in my previous post, luckily, I managed to clean the system.
I updated the MBA anyway and I'm putting the log here.

Thanks for your instructions, I figure it out too that immediate restart after disinfection process is neccessary. At that time no other security programs that detect registry changes were installed / activated.

The malware was successfully removed with F-Secure online scanner and A-squared Anti-Malware 4.

The log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2014
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

20.4.2009 12:25:43
mbam-log-2009-04-20 (12-25-43).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 84560
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by Surpriser, 20 April 2009 - 05:39 AM.

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Ok... just making sure.

If you are clean, I would do one more thing - flush system restore:

Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#14 Surpriser

Surpriser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hmmm ... I think all my restore points have gone away when I disabled the function. Am I correct?

#15 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

You are correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users