Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login Freeze

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryeguy146

ryeguy146

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

After upgrading to an ATI 4850, I popped in a new 650w PSU with more than sufficient power for the whole system (I'm positive of this). Now, when I try to boot, Windows freezes on the login screen, this is also true with safe mode. With the last PSU (500w, working properly), I had the same problem, thinking that improper power was being supplied to the GPU, I upgraded the PSU to what I have now, but same problem. My old nVidia 9600 GSO worked perfectly fine with the old PSU, no freezes, which is what made me think, power problem.

Before I installed my ATI, I removed all nVidia drivers and uninstalled the hardware before adding ATI. I have not had a chance to install the Catalyst drivers for the new ATI card being as my computer freezes before I have a chance. At times, the computer will load past the login screen and freeze as the "startup" programs are beginning to run, before I have network access. I am downloading a live linux (ubunut) CD now to see if I can boot to it without freezes (meaning that it's my OS), but I don't have much hope.

Any ideas on how to fix this? My motherboard is compatible with PCIe v2, which both cards were, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm hoping that it's a bad OS installation, which is a pain in the ass, but I can fix that tonight whereas if it is a bad GPU, I'm going to have to send it back to newegg and wait around for the replacement. So, who has ideas? Remember, I CANNOT get into Windows XP from either a regular boot, nor a safe mode boot.

Thanks for any help you can provide guys, this is beyond my experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

It sounds like you still have some of the nvidia software installed.
See if you can start in Safe Mode & check in add/remove programs to see if there is anything nvidia.
If there is remove it.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 16 April 2009 - 10:35 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

I have done that from "Device Manager" as well as "Add/Remove Programs" applets before installing this card. Perhaps there was more? A booby trap that nVidia left for me if I decided to switch companies? That sounds possible, whether intentional or no. Being as I cannot boot into Windows XP (nor Safe Mode), is there a method of doing this from a command line?

Edited by ryeguy146, 16 April 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#4 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

Well, I tried that Live Linux (Debian) idea I had; not so great outcome. I went to run it (without install) and it reported problems on device sr0. Though I have had some experience with Linux in the past, I could not remember what sr0 was. Anyway, the process seemed to complete despite the I/O errors that I received, but after loading attempting to load Gnome, I was stuck with a black screen. I do not know if this had anything to do with my problem. I rebooted to do a check cd from the debian live cd and noticed that my RAID array (type 0) reported that two (copies) were showing, and that neither of them were working. I don't know if the Debian CD did this, or something else happened, but that's just extra suckage, lost my stripe. Anyway, I ran the check CD and it reported no errors, so, I assume that the I/O errors are related to my RAID problems. I have not checked to see if Debian can handle my type of RAID, but I assumed that it was, at least, able to not screw it up.

So, no steps forward, several steps back. I'm now attempting to reinstall Windows XP on a new stripe and see what comes of it. I will report back here after I succeed, or more the more likely case of failure.

I am beginning to feel as if this were a hardware problem.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Try this,

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Nvidia stuff is worse then gum on a shoe to get rid of.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

I will, in the future, make sure the remove said gum with Driver Sweeper. I have decided that it was indeed some virus like drivers left from damn nVidia. It would be like them wouldn't it? Anyway, I found out after reinstalling Windows because of the lost stripe I previously mentioned. I would have preferred to keep some of the non-system partitions around, but hey, no big deal, just about 300Gb of stuff to redownload... no big deal indeed.

Well, such is life. I'll remember Driver Sweeper in the future, thank you for your help fairjoeblue. I had absolutely no idea that video drivers would be so stubborn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users