Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I partition a 40Gb H/drive ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ozi

ozi

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hi Guy's
I have purchased a formatted ex lease Dell Optiplex GX270 P4 desktop 2.8ghz PC with XP Pro coa & a 40gb hard drive for my wife to use on the internet & wanted to know if I should partition it & what size partition should I use ? It will only be running XP & I was wondering if I should partition it at all ?

Cheers Ozi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

I am not a fan of having two partitions on one disk but many people are. I have heard all the reasons people think it is good to do it but I still do not see the point. Whether or not you do it is all a matter of personal preference.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:21 AM

40 GB is not too large hard disk capacity as per modern trends. I would not partition the hard disk, if I were in your position.

But if you want to store data (mp3 pics etc) on a different partition, then you may want to create a separate partition for that. It is always better to store such data on a s separate partition. In that case, 10-15 GB would be good enough for Windows XP and rest for second partition.

But a better solution for data storage would be to use some external sotrage like USB stick or hard disk.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

:flowers:

I am actually in favour of having extra Partitions to ensure that XP runs well, for example, I have a 200G split into 5 Partitions of around 40G. The other 4 Partitions are mainly for Storage, but some Large Programs we load into D: Drive just to keep the load off C: Drive.

In your case I would leave 40G for your XP, it appears an ideal size for it, and, if you needed extra storage use either another HDD as a Slave or an external HDD, they are not very expensive these days.

As said earlier, it is really just a matter of taste, but under 40G XP can slow down quite a bit, from my own experience.

:thumbsup:

#5 ozi

ozi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

Many thanks Guy's :thumbsup: :flowers:
Cheers Ozi

#6 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Just be careful if installing programs to secondary drives/partitions, as it can break some software if it doesn't install itself correctly. To really reap performance benefits, it's usually best to keep your storage items (music, videos, pictures etc) on a second physical drive. As far as keeping it all on one drive and one partition (like with notebooks) as long as you keep at least one third of the drive free of files and keep the drive defragged, you should get the best performance possible out of it.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:31 AM

40 GB does not need partitioning (I had a topic about this a month ago, but cannot find it any more). The XP-partition should have about 40 GB, otherwise you will encounter problems when installing additional programs, if there doesnt remain enough free space, the performance will reduce.

Personally I dont like partitions, but sometimes they are useful, as mentioned also in other posts. I have a 80 GB HDD unpartitioned. I would partition a disk larger than 150 GB, because otherwise its too big and will also reduce system performance.

Edited by elise025, 17 April 2009 - 04:33 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

Just be careful if installing programs to secondary drives/partitions, as it can break some software if it doesn't install itself correctly.

Whilst you are correct on the Secondary Drives, a Partition on the Main HDD is not a Problem from all my years experience, except if you reformat and reinstall C: Drive. Then of course you have to reinstall the Programs based on D: Drive for C: Drive to pick them up again, but otherwise, never a Problem and just an over the Top reinstall leaves the Data intact, all it does is reinstall the missing Files for C: Drive removed on reformat.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users