Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Main monitor is no longer detected by OS or Video Card.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HybridEyeGrillage

HybridEyeGrillage

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hello BCists,

I dualscreen with different screens (it made no difference to me and still worked well). My main monitor (ViewSonic 22in. Widescreen VG2230wm) extended into my second (Westinghouse 17in. Monitor). Right then-
After allowing Windows Update to... well, update. After the loading bar screen for the OS, the monitor went blank and stated "No signal- Digital. It had put the Westinghouse monitor as my primary. Once signed in, I right-clicked the desktop and went to 'Personalize' (shortcut from Control Panel-> Personalize) and checked the Display Settings. I still had multiple monitors, but they were unnamed and my ViewSonic wasn now listed as Generic Non-PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT. So I turned it off, switched the cables (DVI for the ViewSonic and a VGA to DVI adapter for the Westinghouse) and restarted. The resolution was defaulted to 800x600 and will only go up to 1024x768- Not pretty on a 22 inch'r. I found this quite strange, so I began my analysis based on my knowledge of computers, say Intermediate level.

1.) Checked Device Manager. Monitor had been displayed as Generic Non-PnP Monitor under Monitors subcategory.
I checked through and looked in my Emergency Systems Installations (basically the CD's contents copied onto a external HDD) and tried to reinstall my monitor's driver. Restarted- the problem persisted. I tried to switch and make the ViewSonic my main monitor,hit apply, but it just flashes the screen and makes no change at all.

2.) Find the latest drivers for the Viewsonic monitor.
Downloaded, installed and restarted. Problem persists.

3.) Find latest drivers for the 8800 GT.
Went through NVIDIA.com and downloaded the latest update of 182.50. I installed that and restarted once again. Problem persists.

4.) Shut down the computer, unplugged and re-inserted the DVI cable for the monitor.
I left the second slot (for the Westinghouse) open.Restarted and still the same (ViewSonic would go blank). I shut down again, placed the ViewSonic's DVI cable in the 2nd slot and booted up again. Display works, but is still considered a Generic Non-PnP Monitor. I swaped and used the VGA cable that came with the ViewSonic monitor and used the VGA to DVI adapter plugged in. Well, that allowed me to have my original resolution, but I can no longer dualscreen and the nVidia Control Panel lists the monitor a CRT. It has the right driver for the monitor, though.

5.) If all else fails/you are stumped- go to BleepingComputers.
Well... here I am.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Slight Specs:

Custom built rig by me.
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit
Video Card: nVidia Geforce 8800 GT 512mb Superclocked
4GB (Yes, I know about the limitation)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users