Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot keep Comcast.net homepage open on Internet Explorer 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 catsmeow29

catsmeow29

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hello, can anyone help me? I have IE 8 and anytime I try to go to comcast.net, it will not stay on the page and defaults to some kind of Dell search page. Any ideas how to open comcast.net in Internet Explorer and make it stay there? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

To be clear about this, Comcast page opens up, then it goes to another page?
It is set as your homepage? I searched the Comcast help forums, and couldn't find anything there concerning your issue.
This is the first time I've ever seen it.

Did this start AFTER you installed IE8?
If it did, uninstall it, and see if your problem is solved. It's worth a try.

There is also the possibility that your system could be infected.
I'm not malware removal expert-but I can put out a call to those who are.
If they think it is malware, one of them will guide you through the clean-up process.

The IP for Comcast is 76.96.54.12.

Copy the numbers, then paste them in your address bar.
Does that get you to the Comcast home page and have it stay there?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 April 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#3 catsmeow29

catsmeow29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hello,

I am not sure if this happened on an earlier version of Internet Explorer or not. I also have Firefox browser and this does not happen on Firefox.

Yes the Comcast page opens up, then it immediately switches to some sort of Dell search page and says "blah blah blah" could not be found. Comcast page opens but will not stay open, defaults to the stupid search page.

I tried to type in the IP you gave me and do it that way, does the exact same thing.

This the URL page that it keeps defaulting to! Very annoying!

Thanks for any help

Ooops I forgot to put that URL in, sorry!

Here it is:

http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/af...d=1243992624956?

#4 catsmeow29

catsmeow29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Well I think I actually solved that problem. Did a search on Google and it said to go in Add/Remove programs and remove something called Browser Error Redirector. So I did that, and it did the trick! Comcast page actually stays open now! The only other issue I have now is it pops up a Security tag kind of thing, saying this page is trying to add this site to your Trusted Sites. Do you want to allow this? And whether I click yes or no and add it in, it still pops up every time! But at least the page is staying open now! If anyone knows how to get rid of that Security issue popup, please let me know that too!

Thanks for your help, Queenie.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

I'm glad you got the page issue solved.
Unfortunately I can't help you with the trusted site issue.

I would also like to direct you to the Comcast help forums.

Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Post your issue in the email forum.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you use SmartZone to access your mail, and have questions, that is the place to post. SmartZone is a hot topic right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users