Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PROBLEMS WITH CD BURNER

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 neophyte

neophyte

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:14 AM

I have a Sony CD-RW CRX230E and use Windows XP Home with SP2. I also have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed.

The problem is that my computer thinks that the CD-RW is a CD-ROM and won't let me burn CDs using Windows' own CD burning software, Pinnacle or Sony's CD Extreme. (I have seen Windows' shortcut fix that involves changing Registry entries to ensure that the CD-RW is properly recognised. The values in the Registry look fine, but when I click on "Properties" under the relevant drive in "My Computer", there still is no "Recording" tab).

I think this may be a problem with Norton as sometimes when I try to burn to the Cd-RW, Norton gives me a message saying that I have been attacked. Does Norton not like my CD-RW?

At wit's end. Would like to solve problem and reacquaint myself with my family. Does anyone have any thoughts? Help would be gratefully appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:31 AM

Take a look at this and see if it applies:

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 neophyte

neophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for the lead Leurgy.

I have followed it up, but I think that my problem is slightly different. The drives are listed in "My Computer" and the Device Manager (and I can play audio CDs fine). The computer just won't let me write to them.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:30 AM

What version of Norton are you using?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 neophyte

neophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:19 PM

The 2005 version.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

I found this on the Norton site. It doesn't really apply but its easy enough to try.

What is the exact error message you are getting? The more info the better.

The problem is that my computer thinks that the CD-RW is a CD-ROM and won't let me burn CDs using Windows' own CD burning software, Pinnacle or Sony's CD Extreme.

What happens when you try to burn a CD?

#7 neophyte

neophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for sticking with this one Leurgy. Apologies for delayed response. Just back from a week's holiday.

When I try to burn a CD using "drag and drop" or Windows' own internal burning software, I don't get any error message. It's just that nothing happens. However, when I try to log off I am told that a Windows program is in use and it won't let me log off. (Have to shut down explorer.exe to be allowed to log off).

When I start Sony CD-Extreme, I am told that "No compatible recording devices have been found on this machine".

I will try the Norton lead.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

Have you tried deleting (removing) the CDROM from the Device Manager list and letting Windows redetect it when it boots?
Go to Control Panel.
Double click the 'System' icon.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click the Device Manager button.
You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 neophyte

neophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

Thanks to Rimmer and Leurgy for looking at this.

I have fixed the problem (sort of) in the sense that I am now able to burn CDs.

I think that the Norton thing was a red herring. (Sorry!).

In case anyone else is interested, apparently, the problem is that third party CD burning software interferes with Windows XP's own version. So I decided to keep faith with the Pinnacle product that came with the computer when I bought it and downloaded a patch from Pinnacle's website that means that the product works with Service Pack 2. I also followed Rimmer's suggestion and let the CD-ROM get redected on a reboot and made sure the drivers were up to date.

Where that leaves me is that I still can't use the Windows CD burning software, but I can use Pinnacle.

Once again, my compliments to all involved in this site which is truly awesome. Particular thanks to Rimmer and Leurgy for taking the time.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:43 PM

Hey, whatever floats your boat neophyte :thumbsup: . Thanks for posting back and letting us know you worked it out.

Since you mentioned that this was an SP2 issue, I had a look at Microsft's page detailing Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer. Although Pinnacle is mentioned it seems to be in relation to the 64 Bit XP, which I don't think involves you as you didn't mention that.

Anyway, glad you have a solution.

#11 neophyte

neophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

No - I'm not 64 bit. Odd that it's not mentioned on the Windows link. Perhaps it uninstalling and re-installing the CD-ROM that did the trick.

As my alias suggests, I am new to all this. :thumbsup: Still, happy with end result....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users