Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No CD drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pepperweed43

pepperweed43

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:23 AM

I have just installed W2000 on a dell XPS T500 (500MHz, PIII, 256 RAM) and was doing fine until I lost contact with one of my CD drives. There are two installed, a read only and a RW. First I put a program disc in the RW (from which I'd been installing software) and everything locked up. I could not eject the CD- seemed like I had no power to it. I tried turning the comp off and on svl times, unpluging the power cable to the drive and the cable strap. THEN I lost the other CD drive! It still opens and closes, but neither of the drives has an icon in My Computer, nor do they register at system start up (before the windows screen appears). I don't know how to get them back. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:14 AM

Try these solutions.

1. Check Device Manager for conficts with the drives or to make sure that there are even being registered by windows.

2. Check Jumpers of the back of the drives.

3. Check BIOS settings to make sure that Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, and Secondary Slave are all set to Auto Detect.

Hope these ideas help im just pulling them off the top of my head.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users