Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virut.17408.B9 Virus/ Moved

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 charms

charms

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

My system is infected with lot of Trojan files (From Malwarebytes log) and didnt allow me to Login. I have reinstalled using the factory CD (No format, just reinstall) and now able to get in. I have installed CA Security center and when i run the scan the stats show that all the HTML files are infected with HTML/Virut.17408.B9 virus. The same virus appears whenever i open IE,Firefox. Not able to install Google chrome.

Also my Wireless network drivers and other drivers show as issue occured while registering. Each time i run the Malwarebytes its cleans up around 50 files from the registry and the same issue is happening again.

I could not get any luck with google search on the virus, any help resolving this issue will be a great help.

I have attached the log form Malware bytes scan here.

Thanks,
Charms.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

Sorry to say but Virut is suposedly incurable. The only fix I have heard of for Virut is to format your disk and reinstall your operating system. Just reinstalling will not fix it and I am unaware of any program that can remove it. You could post in the "Am I Infected" section of this forum but I doubt they will tell you anything different.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:00 AM

I am shifting this topic to the Am I Infected forum. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 smurf1

smurf1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

To the best of my knowledge symantec has a stand alone virus removal tool for this problem.You will have to shut down system restore and run the virus removal tool in safe mode on your computer.This should take care care of the problem.Good luck

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hello.

I have installed CA Security center and when i run the scan the stats show that all the HTML files are infected with HTML/Virut.17408.B9 virus. The same virus appears whenever i open IE,Firefox. Not able to install Google chrome.

That is because Virut infects .html/.htm files as well.

Once you have this infection the only way is to format the whole drive.

Posted ImageVirut File Infector Warning

Your system is infected with a polymorphic file infector called Virut and also has IRC bot functionality. Virut is capable of infecting all the machine's executable files (.exe) and screensaver files (.scr) and also web pages (.html and .htm). However, the problem is that the virus has a number of bugs in its code, and as a result, it may misinfect a proportion of executable files and therefore, the files are corrupted beyond repair. In addition, when it infects, sometimes it will destroy the file it tries to latch onto.

For these reasons, you really can't truly fix Virut. You will need to reinstall and format the operating system on this machine. As of now, security experts suggest that a clean Reformat is the only way to clean the infection and it is the only way to return the machine to its normal working state.

Backup all your documents and important items (personal data, work documents, pictures etc..) only. DO NOT backup any executable files (softwares) and screensavers (*.scr) or any web pages (*.html or *.htm). It attempts to infect any accessed .exe or .scr or .html/.htm files by appending itself to the executable.

Also, try to avoid backing up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that have .exe or .scr files inside them. Virut can penetrate and infect .exe files inside compressed files too.

More information on Virut can be found over here and here

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

@ smurf1

Can you provide a source for that information? That is in conflict with what I've been able to find.

And even though an Antivirus is able to disinfect the files, in a lot of cases, many files will be corrupted anyway > result > many programs won't work > loads of errors > corrupted Windows + there's still no guarantee that the Virus is really gone.

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2009/02/vir...s-throwing.html

Given the rest of what is written there, I'm afraid, charms, that your best course of action is to do a reformat and clean install.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 luccio75

luccio75

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:47 AM

Hi everybody

It's my first post here, I find some good information so here i am.

I have this Virut. .... :flowers:

For these reasons, you really can't truly fix Virut. You will need to reinstall and format the operating system on this machine. As of now, security experts suggest that a clean Reformat is the only way to clean the infection and it is the only way to return the machine to its normal working state.

I understand the only way to fix it, is to format the system. But the link for "how to format" explains that it's not possible to do
this with a laptop and a recovery disk. (I am sure I don't have a XP disc but only a recovery disc). How can I do to format and
reinstall XP ?

Backup all your documents and important items (personal data, work documents, pictures etc..) only. DO NOT backup any executable files (softwares) and screensavers (*.scr) or any web pages (*.html or *.htm). It attempts to infect any accessed .exe or .scr or .html/.htm files by appending itself to the executable.

Also, try to avoid backing up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that have .exe or .scr files inside them. Virut can penetrate and infect .exe files inside compressed files too.

In order to back up my personal documents, can I plug my external hard drive on the infected laptop ? The virut. will not
install itself on my HD ?

:thumbsup: Many thanks for your answers, I understand I have to reinstall but don't know how to do...

... and sorry for my english, I hope it's understandable (?!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users