Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Mechanic Results: Serious Hard-Drive Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Natori

Natori

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

After I ran a free computer system test from the ZoneAlarm website, I was concerned about the results...which stated that my computer was in fair condition. One of the options were to buy System Mechanic to repair errors. I decided to try it for *free*-only 2-3 days....and it found normal things except for one result was a "serious hard-drive" error that could damage my system. It doesn't tell me what kind of error but that it can check it the next time my computer restarts and possibly repair it. So last night, it did just that and it took a very long time so I attempted to sleep. However, this morning the same result was in the list-again. I did see something of an explanation of what is wrong...."drive is locked." Okay, so I did more research online and I gathered that it just meant that my computer has a lock/password-which I do. Took the password off and it's still giving me the "serious hard-drive error" result. What gives? I recently had my hard-drive replaced about three months ago...the company that did it was able to recover ALL of the info. from my old hard-drive which I thought was great. I haven't any problems until I ran the system test through ZoneAlarm/System Mechanic. Basically, I'm not asking for help...because I'm sure no one can diagnose this over the internet but I just wanted peeps to add their opinions/thoughts to this post/answer the general question. Have you ever used System Mechanic before? Does it give bogus results? Should I take my computer back to the shop again and have them check it since they were the ones who replaced my old hard-drive with a new one?

Edited by Natori, 16 April 2009 - 03:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

What "gives" is a co. is trying to sell you something.
If they don't tell you something is wrong you have no incentive to buy the utility they are trying to sell.

Windows has a built in feature to check the hard drive for errors & fix them if possible.
It also has a built in feature to fix file system errors.

Uninstall "system Mechanic"

Post what version of Windows you have & we can give pretty exact instructions to use the built in utilities.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Natori

Natori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

So I should un-install right? Well, I have to say that the other results (memory issues, frag, computer clutter) seemed to be okay and it supposedly repaired those issues. The only thing that is suspect is the *hard-drive error* and how it needs to be repaired. I just ran the test again to see if it would give me more info this time and it stated "error detected on one of your hard-drives." If you click repair now..and go back to the dashboard it says that you have restart the computer for the repair to take effect. I thought that was what I was doing last night...anyway, I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP3.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

If you really want to test "System Mechanic" try this,

Open My Computer
Right click on the C drive & on the menu click Properties
Click on the Tools tab
Click on Check Now
When the box opens put checkmarks [click] in the boxes next to,

Automatically fix file system errors
Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

Click Start

You will get a message, "The disk check could not,blah,blah schedule to run at next restart"
Click Yes

Restart the computer & let the disk check run, it will take a few, let it start to the desktop on it's own.

Now run System Mechanic" , if it still reports a error on the C drive either it's full of it or you have a failing hard drive, & I doubt it's a failing HD .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Natori

Natori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

I believe I have done something like that before...but my question is: Do I have to wait while windows run this at restart to see what the errors are if any? It takes a while and I usually don't like to sit in front of it while it completes. Also, since I ran the test System Mechanic again (just to see if the results were different) it is supposed to it's pseudo-repair again...will one cancel out the other? I'll have to open that software up again to see if I can cancel it.

#6 Natori

Natori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Okay, tried to see if I can cancel the repair and couldn't--so I ran the freaking test again because I believe I can disable any repairs after I run it. *Sigh.*

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

I never trust any program that offers to scan my computer for "free", except for Trend Micro HouseCall [online virus scanner] .

Any program designed to scan your computer & try to sell you something to "fix" it IS going to find a "problem" .
As I said before, the objective of the program is to be a salesman.
If it doesn't find anything wrong it doesn't have a "reason" to offer to sell you a "repair" .
If it can sell it's not doing it's job.

If it were me I'd take that garbage off of the computer & quit worrying about it.
If you defrag the drive on a regulat basis & there is a problem Windows will give you a notice & advise you run a disk check to fix it.

#8 Natori

Natori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

Okay, dude you are right. I am going to do this very soon. BUT I just want to let others know that every since I've had this System Mechanic on my PC, I've gotten some sort of Broken.Open thing (Notepad-which I've been using) when Malware-Bytes runs a quick scan. So of course, I did a search online and found a forum and someone posted the same problem. They were using Malware-bytes and System Mechanic....also AVG as their anti-virus. Simply identical to what I'm using. The only thing different is that freaking System Mechanic. I am still going to run the hard-drive check through Windows just be on the safe side. Malware-Bytes removed the two broken.open notepads results after a restart but I'm afraid it's going to be back on the result list when I run the scan tonight....I guess I will see. I'm a little concerned because I have been using Notepad a lot lately simply because it's easier to write notes on (and I have pertinent info. saved on some Notepad entries). Anyway, just wanted to put that out there...I can't believe ZoneAlarm is partnered with this company.

Edited by Natori, 17 April 2009 - 10:37 AM.

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

I have AVG & Malwarebytes , they work well together.
[Also have Zone Alarm firewall which works well with the others]

I DON'T have "System Mechanic". :thumbsup:

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

This thread reminds me of my old rig back in '95 when I was a newb. I was so happy, and went out and bought Norton Utilities and a bunch of other software. I learned the hard way, 2 formats later, that most system utilities cause more problems than they cure. I still have that yellow CD case around somewhere.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

I do have VCOM Fix-it 5 utility suite installed.
I bought it a few years ago because it came with [free] Kasperski Anti-Virus.
I have it installed because there are a couple of the utilities I like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users