Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen blacking out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GV25

GV25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:35 AM

I'm helping out a friend with his fairly new laptop. It's a hp pavilion zv5000 laptop, Windows XP, Athlon 64 chip, etc. It's a nice laptop. He got it within the last 6 months. About every 30 seconds, sometimes more sometimes less, the computer will just lock up and you won't be able to do anything on it. You can still move the mouse around the screen but it won't change anything running. Then, after a second or two, again sometimes more and sometimes less, the screen goes black and comes back up again. It doesn't seem to interrupt anything you've been doing, and anything you did with the mouse while the screen was frozen still happens. For example, if the screen locks up and I close the window, I won't see the window close, but after the screen turns black and then comes back again, the window will have closed. Also, while I'm typing this I can keep on typing while the screen is locking up, and anything I type will be there when the screen comes back even though I couldn't see it as I was typing it.
That 30 seconds is an estimate and it seems to do it more often when the computer is working harder. And for some reason right clicking somewhere makes it do it almost every time.

The video card is a NVidia GeForce4 440 Go

I have run zone alarm's antivirus, fully updated and a few spyware checks, but they didn't find anything to fix this. Zone alarm came up with a few viruses but cleaning those didn't fix this problem.

I don't think it's overheating because it's not getting very warm anywhere and the motherboard temp is 37degC.
In safe mode everything works fine.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I used the driver manager to do it, but that didn't help. When I downloaded the drivers from nvidia's site, they didn't recognize the video card.

I can't figure out what the [bleep] is going on. If you have any ideas, please help or ask me any questions.

Thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:54 AM

If this laptop is only six months old, is it not still under warranty? Take it back.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

could be the driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users