Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple instances of iexplore.exe in Processes/ Moved

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

Greetings,

I'm sure some one out there can shine some light into this one.

This morning I came to my computer which is usually left on to find that Avira AntiVir update manager was stuck on 2% and I was unable to Abort or close it down. I hit the Ctrl-Alt-Del and went into processes to end it manually. Much to my surprise, I saw 20 or so iexplore.exe processes!

I can end them all manually but I wonder what would cause this. I am constantly in Processes tinkering around so I can say that this day is the first day this has happened. I understand that because my virus scanning software update manager is frozen that it denotes a virus. I have since scanned the hard drive from a remote computer with no adieu to the problem.
I thank people in advance telling me its a virus or what have you. I'm kinda looking for something specific but open to possibilities.

Speaking of specifics, here is my system:

Windows XP Pro, latest updates SP3
McAfee Virus & Firewall
Avira Antivir Personal
AVG Virus Scanner

I never use Internet explorer to surf the net, just for windows updates. I constantly clean out my cookies. Virus scans happen twice a night.

Attached is a screen shot of the processes (not all of them). User name was removed but I can tell you that they are all the same.

Thanks for your insight.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

I am moving this topic from the Windows XP forum to the Am I Infected forum which is more suited to this topic.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

McAfee Virus & Firewall
Avira Antivir Personal
AVG Virus Scanner

Are you using these all at once??
You should only have one AV program. More that that will cause conflicts
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

McAfee Virus & Firewall
Avira Antivir Personal
AVG Virus Scanner

Are you using these all at once??
You should only have one AV program. More that that will cause conflicts

I have never had a problem before (years now) and I do not plan on changing it unless I have to. More times than not, one program will find a virus when the others don't and vise versa.

Edited by Shandley, 16 April 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hello Shandley,

Once upon a time, before I was a member of BC, I had 2 AV programs on my computer thinking that it would improve my security. You are correct that one AV program will detect things that another won't, and some will scan files that another won't. It was for this latter reason that I had installed the other AV because it would scan IMAP mail and the other would not. For several months there indeed did not appear to be any problem, but then . . .

Rather than go into the details of what happened, which are no longer clear in my memory, let me provide for you clear reasons why running more than one AV is not a good idea and how you can still get that second and third opinion. (Thank you quietman7).

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. The primary concern with doing so is due to conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time mode simultaneously. However, even when one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it can affect the other. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. Other vendors do not encrypt their definitions and they can trigger false alarms when detected by the resident anti-virus. To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one or ones to remove is your choice.

Most anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time:When necessary, you can always get another opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.

AntiSpyware programs is a different story, and I can provide information about that if you wish.

Speaking of AntiSpyware programs, do you have any of those installed? If so, which ones and have you run scans with them?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

I agree with the above. Multiple Antivirus packages can cause problems,

Let's take a look with Malwarebytes

The process of cleaning your computer may require temporarily disabliling some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users