Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs unless I reset Cmos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Doc

Computer Doc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

So my computer rebooted sometime the other night while I was helping my son with homework. When I got back, it was hung up at where you hit delete to enter setup. Hit delete and nothing happens.
Reboot.
Tests memory fine and then hangs again and can't get into the bios.
Open case, reset cmos.
Now when I boot, it says configuration has changed and it lets me in where I load optimized defaults and exit and it will boot to windows.... but, all my usb stuff doesn't work, most importantly, my mouse. So...
Reboot.
And we're right back where we were before with the computer hung up right after memory test.
Any ideas?

Gotta go to work, but I'll post more details about what's in the computer as far as hardware either at work or when I get home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

If you haven't made any changes to the computer, I'd hate to say it, but it sounds like a failing motherboard. Maybe a failing power supply, but I would suspect more of the motherboard.

You could try flashing (updating) the BIOS.

Edited by Sterling14, 16 April 2009 - 10:31 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

Try a new CMOS [motherboard] battery?
[Inexpensive & worth a try]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

yea do what fairjoeblue says to do

#5 Computer Doc

Computer Doc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

My thoughts were the same about power supply and motherboard. Will try a battery tho. Put a power supply tester on it and it looks ok, but will have to maybe try thepower supply out of another rig before I replace the motherboard.

Replace the motherboard and then you're almost forced to upgrade and get better motherboard/cpu nad if I did that, it would be a memory upgrade too....

Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users