Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reset speedtouch password when infected with rootkit virus and trojans.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

Hi I have rootkit virus and am getting help on another forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic216914.html).

I want to set a new Strong password before I wipe my hard drive and reinstall a clean version of windows xp.

I am being helped by Jat90 who suggested I put a post on this forum to see if anyone knows a way of resetting the password.

I believe the only way is to hook up my router to a clean computer and login from there to reset password. I have jsut found out that my laptop which I thought was clean of this malicious virus is also infected so I don't want to use that.

Anyone help me? I'm using speedtouch st585 v6. I had to update the firmware to uk version (6.2 I think) which was the only way to get it to handshake with my isp when I churned recently from aapt to tpg. (Australia)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Usually all the routers have a hard reset button on the unit itself. It will be very small in size and you can use "safety pin or pen" kind of things to reset it. Usually you need hold it for around 2mins or so, when it is powered on

Edited by sreez, 17 April 2009 - 09:49 AM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:41 AM

Hi Thanks for the reply.
I was told to reset my router password with a "strong password" because the virus I had might have sent info back that would mean someone could hack into my router.
I was worried that if reset the password then the trojan on my system would key log the new password and send the info out the back door.
I have got around it now by wiping my windows installation clean and subsequently logging into the router and scrounging around inside it until I found where I could set the password.
All sorted now, except for the fact that I can't get my new windows installation to read my files and settings transfer wizard files. I have hundreds of files and photo;s that I can't access or reinstall.
I have tried all mentioned fixes except for the fastserv program yet. My last hope.
Anyway better close this thread and open a new one for the F.A.S.T. problem - but I don't think I've got much hope.

#4 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:55 AM

sorry not fastserv, I meant "Fastconv". Hope it works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users