Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible faulty security update?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

I did a windows update, installed everything critical, and restarted. When it booted up again, I got the message:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, windows must restore the original versions of these files"

"Insert your Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD now."

Did this happen to anyone else? I did put my disk in, and that fixed the problem, but it tells me that the same critical update needs to be installed. I'm not sure I want to install it yet...

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

I have had the same thing happen on my computer after a change. In fact, we had the same thing come up on a couple of computers at work, and we did exactly as you did, and never saw the message again. I wouldn't worry about it... unless it becomes a regular message.

Continue on with you updates. With that said, you should always have a back-up of your data.

Microsoft also has a support page about the message with more details:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=222193

Good-luck,

Edited by Joshuacat, 18 June 2005 - 10:35 PM.

JC

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

I re-installed the update and recieved the same message, which I fixed with the CD. I think I'll hold off on that update for a while, but thanks for the info. I'm glad I'm not alone. :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:56 AM

SP 2 is a CRITICAL UPDATE!!

By refusing to install SP 2 on your Windows XP system you are acting irresponsibly - as irresponsibly as does a drunk driver, weaving and speeding through heavy traffic on bald tires in the rain. You are allowing your computer to increase the potential for everyone else to become infected by viruses, Trojans, and other malware by operating a system on the Internet that lacks the capability that these Critical security updates enable your machine with. It is totally irresponsible and reckless behavior.

According to the company of experts who wrote the code for your operating system SP 2 is a Critical (meaning absolutely essential) Update that addresses critical security issues of utmost importance. Devoid of the Critical Updates provided by SP 2 your computer lacks its ability to prevent the miscreants who produce malware from running malicious code and turning your computer into a zombie. You are an accomplice, assisting them by enabling the spread of their malicious code. In addition, by not installing SP 2 you are making yourself ineligible to access future updates from Microsoft as well.

The original problems experienced by some users upon installing SP 2 were the result of third party code that did not comply with Microsoft requirements not a flaw in XP or SP 2. Most of the manufacturers of peripheral devices and applications have issued updates for their products, making them compliant with the Microsoft requirements and therefore will not conflict providing their updates are loaded. Most users of recent equipment had no problems with SP 2, just those using older equipment or programs.

Microsoft is offering a free CD for the installation of SP2. Those using it have far fewer problems than those who download it. Act responsibly - order it and use it as soon as possible!

Microsoft is also offering free technical support should you experience any problems after installing SP 2.

Knowledgebase: Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Knowledgebase: Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 June 2005 - 04:59 AM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:34 AM

but it tells me that the same critical update needs to be installed. I'm not sure I want to install it yet...

It sounds like this update supercedes what is on your CD, which is not unusual. I would install it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:31 AM

Ok. ok. Let me straighten things out. I DO have SP2. The update causing the problem was security update KB893066, published on 6-14-05

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

Looks as if this patch is a little bit buggy. This is interesting reading:

KB893066

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

Was there not a cancel button, or something else that allows you to continue? I believe that will allow you to continue and you shouldn't see the message again. From looking at Herks post, it looks like this one plays with the tcpip.sys file. I know that there are some people that want to get xp sp2 to except more than 10 connections for P2P, there is a program that will turn the value back to unlimited. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of preventing worms from spreading on your computer... You have not run that on your computer in the past, have you?

If not, just try to click on cancel and see if that helps.
JC

#9 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, the cancel button worked. I havn't noticed any problems yet, so maybe Microsoft left something out that would have told Windows to accept the updated files as new versions instead of outsiders. I don't really know how the updates work, though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users