Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update redirects to google (lots o' crap once there), Malwarebytes will install but not run, other spyware programs un-runnable

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andrewbehn

andrewbehn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

First - thanks in advance for the help!

I (very very stupidly) tried to download the new southpark this evening, and before I knew it I was told I didn't have the right codec and now I have worm/trojan/virus/something.

The symptoms are thus:
Windows update will redirect me to google, and the search results that come up are garbage adware
Malwarebytes will istall if I rename the file, but won't execute once installed

I have also tried to install spybot search and destroy, but can't even get through the installation before I get an error and have to abort.

please help! and thanks!

-Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewbehn

andrewbehn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:21 AM

forgot to post before - I'm running Windows XP service pack 3

#3 millerjr

millerjr

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Andrew ... I'm having the same problem with my computer and have been checking in to see if you've
got any help solving the problem..... Any luck yet Jim

#4 andrewbehn

andrewbehn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

I haven't had any luck yet - my computer is still functional if I don't try and use google/run anti-spyware. I have a complete backup of my data, so I think I might just reformat and start fresh with a new XP install.

#5 andrewbehn

andrewbehn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

OK - I got my computer back to myself thanks to malwarebytes - heres what I had to do.

WARNING - I AM NOT AN EXPERT. I ONLY UNDERTOOK THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS BECAUSE I HAVE A COMPLETE BACKUP AND WOULDN'T HAVE MINDING FORMATTING/REINSTALLING WINDOWS. THIS MAY BE RISKY BUT IT WORKED FOR ME.

I simply went to www.cnet.com and searched for Malwarebytes, since this internal site search won't get all f'ed up like google. Then, I downloaded the program, but renamed the setup file tool.exe (the virus blocked the installation otherwise). Then, once installed the program wouldn't run. To solve this, I went to C:/program files/malwarebytes/ and changed the executable name to tool.exe (any name other than mbam.exe should work). I performed a quick scan (after disabling symantec so as to not interfere with the malwarebytes scan) and it found a boatload of trouble on my computer, but had no problem taking care of it. voila!

note - I tried to boot into safe mode, but the virus seems to have blocked me from doing so. I haven't tried to boot into safe mode since, so I can't be %100 sure this is all fixed, but I can get back to windows update, google actually googles stuff, and I generally sleep better at night (or will once I go to bed).

cheers!
Andrew

#6 millerjr

millerjr

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:51 AM

Thanks...I'll give it a try...I had dl'ed the anniversary release of ad-aware ( it updated the def files with no problem) and found
an intruder and removed it. On reboot the problem was still there... I remember reading here about the renaming and tried
it, but I only renamed the .exe file not the setup program before installation..... Thanks again Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users