Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seeking assistance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaybee

jaybee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:48 PM

i am seeking assistance on malware removal and system restore. some people tell me to properly remove such is to disable system restore while others say that it is a bad idea to do in case something goes wrong, plus if i restore back like a week before the problem, that would clear some of the malware and or hijack. i am very confused on what to tell a friend of mine to do with it as i was always led to believe that SR be disabled to properly clean a system, btw, it is an XP based system. :thumbsup: just seeking assistance on this to whom may know for sure. thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

Hi jaybee.. IMHO it is best to reset system restore AFTER you get your computer cleaned of Malware and spyware. A bad system restore point is better than none at all. Once you disable system restore all previous points get deleted... I would wait til after the fixing to reset system restore.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 jaybee

jaybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:39 AM

thank you for your insight, another question, how about clearing all previous restore except the current. can that be done? :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:23 AM

Hello jaybee and welcome to BC.

how about clearing all previous restore except the current. can that be done?

When you turn of System Restore (SR) all the restore points are deleted. Turning it back on will create a new restore point. So, if you do this without rebooting, you will have a current restore point.

If the System Volume Information Folder is on an NTFS partition, the SVI directory can be accessed by a virus utility to clean an infected file as any other part of the file system. If the System Volume Information (SVI) folder is on a FAT partition and a virus infected file has been detected or copied to the data store before it was cleaned, the data store needs to be purged to remove the Restore Point with the infected file.

That is from Microsoft. So it depends on the file system you are using, whether or not you need to delete the restore points.

Edited by Leurgy, 19 June 2005 - 08:24 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 jaybee

jaybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

disk cleanup, more options tab reads..."you can free up more disk space by removing all but the most recent restore point" in the system restore tab...will that work for clearing an infection in restore? :thumbsup:

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

Only if the most recent restore point is not infected.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 jaybee

jaybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:22 AM

:thumbsup: cool, thats a ton of help in making sure. at least there is options other then just disabling it first, i use and have suggested ERUNT for the registry back up, a nice little utility. many thanks for the great support here at BP, i'll try to frequent the site. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users