Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing XP problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gcrume

gcrume

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

HELP - please!

I had a friend with a very nasty virus - I tried several anti-virus programs and scan sites, file searches, registry searches etc.... I gave up and started to reinstall Windows. - The computer froze during installation - does anybody have any advice before I power it down and try a reboot?

Thanks in advance!
gcrume

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:58 PM

If your reformatting due to a virus, chances are the virus is going to be left in the space that is not covered by normal formatting. So youll have to delete the partitions then recreate them.

For example, say i got the w32.somefool.gen1 virus and i was formatting. Where it came the time when installation asked me what partition to format i would instead press d to delete the highlighted partition, then enter then l to confirm it. This would make it so that the only unpartitioned space would be left.

Then i would press c to create a partition wich would be the size of the entire hard drive itself.

Then i would continue installation, this happens with some viruses where they are meant to be reformatted then cause errors because partitions are not re-created.

if the virus is not a kind where it stays after normal formatting, (not deleting the partitions) then most of the time its a scratched cd where 1 dll file is not installed and the whole system breaks down after a day.

Hope this helps

#3 gcrume

gcrume
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the help!
The installation continued normally after power down and I haven't had problems with the virus reappearing (so far). If it comes back - I'll know what to do now!
- The CD looked a little smudged - a cleaning may have helped.

Thanks,
gcrume

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users