Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS EXPLORER DOESN'T WORK

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cherps

Cherps

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

That will assist in repairing this pc (Gateway Laptop running Vista Home). I'm attempting to fix this pc for a co-worker, but without the ability to navigate in windows explorer..it's been nearly impossible. So far I've managed to remove nearly 600+ spyware/malware/trojan infections with the use of SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes. Thought maybe that would free up the windows explorer problem but NOT SO. I've also done a system restore back to 4/2/09.....that didn't do it either. Also performed the *Error Check Now* (in XP it was the 'chkdsk /f' option.....and that's done nothing. I'm at a loss. The Disk for Vista OS states that IF I use it, it will wipe out all data on the hd. So...it seems I can't do the 'repair' option either.

Have any of you heard of this before? This is my FIRST experience with a problem like this....and it's got me totally baffled. All I have access to is the desktop...and internet....so I download programs that I think will help...and I found this site....lucky me!

Can anyone give me a few pointers on what else to do?
Would much appreciate the help.
Thanks for being here!
Cherps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

hello

do you have a task bar ? if yes. right click in task bar. choose task manager. choose processes . is explorer.exe running? if not go to file (top left of task manager)click New Task type explorer.exe see if that helps.

good luck :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Cherps

Cherps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi Kenny,

Yes, explorer.exe is running. However, I click on anything that requires Windows Explorer and a msg comes up that says it's closing explorer and windows is looking for a solution....no solution ever appears. There is absolutely no way to access anything that requires the explorer...though it shows to be running.

Thanks for your help!
Cherps

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

hello

heres what i was reading

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/41976/

hope it helps. if not there are some VERY SMART people here at bc.
Have A Great Day

#5 Cherps

Cherps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

The disk sent with the computer (by owner) is the Vista Home Premium 32bit Operation System disc that states "WARNING: this process erases all data and files from the hard drive". For fear is wiping out this pc and starting from scratch...I'd rather not chance it.

I've been reading about SFC.EXE /SCANNOW.....I tried it....but there's nothing that happens...either on this pc or on my own (which is also a new Gateway pc..that's 5 months old, and also running Vista Home Premium...but 64bit).

I'm about to throw in the towel on this one, as nothing I try works.

Without the use of explorer....all tasks are near impossible.

#6 Cherps

Cherps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

ok...there's some gooofy looking files running in task manager. With all the jibberish abbreviations how can one tell if it's a safe program or not?

I ran across a post that had something listed about what was safe and what wasn't.....tried to find it again...but I think I'm on tilt-mode after trouble shooting all day.

IS THERE NO ONE HERE WHO CAN HELP?

#7 Cherps

Cherps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Question,

Could 'ComboFix' work to fix a problem with the 'Windows Explorer'?

Worth mentioning: There's also msgs that pop up on this Vista machine ... 1. There is a problem with PC Confidential and the program is closing. 2. WSSHelper is closing. Could these be related to the problem with windows explorer not being able to work?

Still seeking answers from anyone who can help. PLEASE
Thanks so much,
Cherps

#8 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

hello cherps

combo fixSHOULD NOT BE USEDunless advised by a trained profesional (or something like that) its a very powerful tool.

anyways if you open task manager. click file (top left) type C: does explorer open ? if you type control panel. does it open?

mine does for both sorry if you have already tried that. im hopeing someone will jump in with some better suggestions !!!

hope this helps
Have A Great Day

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

You need to post a new topic with a short description of your problem in our Am I Infected? forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

keny1111111 was correct in warning you about Combofix
It can possibly hose your system if done wrong
If you run it on your own and screw up, you'll be on your own to fix it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users