Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook hangs after booting up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

When I try to start-up my HP Notebook, the machine itself turns on, but nothing happens afterward. The hard disk light flashes around four or five times, and the DVD drive clicks once (as it always does when I boot up normally), but there's absolutely no activity afterwards. The problem started when the notebook suddenly froze during use a few days ago, and since then i've been able to boot up windows in safe mode only once (the computer froze about five minutes later), and from then on, the notebook's been dead after booting up. How 2 fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

When I try to start-up my HP Notebook, the machine itself turns on, but nothing happens afterward. The hard disk light flashes around four or five times, and the DVD drive clicks once (as it always does when I boot up normally), but there's absolutely no activity afterwards. The problem started when the notebook suddenly froze during use a few days ago, and since then i've been able to boot up windows in safe mode only once (the computer froze about five minutes later), and from then on, the notebook's been dead after booting up. How 2 fix?

Hi Mikeperhaps,

When you’re booting are you plugged in or running on battery? When you booted in Safe Mode, did any notifications come up before your computer froze? The problem, from the sound of it, could be a couple different things.

Get back to me on those, and we can move forward.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hi Mikeperhaps,

When you’re booting are you plugged in or running on battery? When you booted in Safe Mode, did any notifications come up before your computer froze? The problem, from the sound of it, could be a couple different things.

Get back to me on those, and we can move forward.

Cheers,

Hi, thanks for replying.

The problem happens both while plugged in and while on battery. When I started in Safe Mode, there weren't any notifications before freezing. I remember that the only thing I did after booting up in safe mode is run AVG Antivirus, but before I could do anything with it, the screen turned into a still scrambled pattern, and it stayed frozen like that. I held down the power button to shut down the machine, and since then my computer has been the way it still is right now.

Hope that info helps.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users