If you want to save some cash and go AMD, you can use a different build. Also, if you have a case, optical drive, or another component in your current PC you wish to use, you can save money that way. Remember, the below configuration is for everything, that is assuming you want to build a PC from scratch without reusing any components from your current PC.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
- A solid motherboard that supports the latest processors and allows for hybrid Crossfire with certain GPUs. Hybrid Crossfire is Crossfire but with one discrete card and the on-board video.
Case: SIGMA LUNA LUNA-WB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- If you do not wish to reuse your current case, or if it isn't a mid-tower case, you can use this. I prefer aluminum cases for their lightweight. $79 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz
- One of AMD's newest quad core processors. The 45nm technology in use with the Phenom II line of processors adds increased efficiency, lower power consumption, and less heat over older models. There are less expensive models, such as the triple core AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
($135), if you're under a tight budget. Quad cores are great for futureproofing when combined with applications that support all four cores. $184
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB
- This GPU will do well. Like Sterlings GPU, this will allow for hybrid Crossfire. I decided to cut back a little on the GPU and get a newer CPU instead. $89 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
- A big drive for all your media. $74
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
- This is plenty of RAM for most users, your board supports up to 8GB. $46
Optical Drive: Pioneer Optical Combo Drive
- You can reuse your old drive if you wish. $22
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
- You need a 64-bit OS to use 4GB or more of RAM. $99
Power Supply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
- This power supply will handle most mainstream GPU's and it's modular. $54
Price: $740 (Before $35 in rebates, free shipping on all items except the case and PSU)
Edited by DJBPace07, 16 April 2009 - 12:20 AM.