Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I had to 'restore' Windows XP, now I have more problems!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Deanna

Deanna

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

I have a brand new (2 week old) Toshiba Tecra laptop. Because of various kerfuffles with XP user accounts (deletions and then an inability to logon to the computer) I had to have windows re-installed/restored. I didn't have my Toshiba CD's with me, so the support guy reinstalled windows using an HP CD he had around, and then told me to install the rest of the Toshiba-specific software myself, with the CDs I had at home.

Well, now i've done that, BUT: Bluetooth Stacker and the wireless connection drivers wouldn't reinstall. (I specifically paid for these features, so that's a problem!) Norton Antivirus is gone. And some program named CSWGina.dll is preventing me from doing things like displaying the 'welcome screen' and using the windows xp display mode rather than 'classic' mode. I'm sure there are various other problems that i haven't found yet.

So, how do i fix these specific problems?? OR, how does this System Restore thing work, and is it too late to use it now that windows has been reinstalled? And would reinstalling windows again using my Toshiba CD help at all?? Basically, I want my new computer to be good as new again!

Thanks in advance for any and all help; the newness of my computer makes this all the more upsetting!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

Well, in my opinion using the toshiba cd that came with your computer and reformatting again would be best.

I say this because with your toshiba cd came all the drivers that are specific for that computer.

You can refer to this guide to reformat your computer.
http://www.techsomething.net/SupportMiscel...ourComputer.htm

(tech guys always overcharge, thats why its better to learn how to troubleshoot a pc)

Also, using the restore feature in windows xp will not help you because your system is so new that it most likely hasnt anything to restore to (restore points)

hope this helps

Edited by Techsomething, 18 June 2005 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users