Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slipstreaming Windows XP Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

Before going further, let me assure everybody that I did read --twice-- Chad Mockensturm's Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD guide. But I am a novice with ambitious plans and have some questions...

I have a genuine copy of Windows XP Professional (32-bit version) with Service Pack 3 already on it. What I would like to do is integrate my XP Pro SP3 disk with all _post-SP3_ security updates, hotfixes, patches (or whatever they are called!) into a slipstreamed, bootable DVD. In addition, I would also like to throw in Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (because I am on dial-up and it takes me 18 straight hours to download it!), Internet Explorer 7 (and all its corresponding patches, etc.) --and Windows Media Player 11 too!

I believe that I have successfully downloaded all the patches, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, IE 7, and WMP 11 from Microsoft, and here are my questions:

1) Is what I have outlined above doable?
2) If yes, is there a guide posted somewhere that tells me how to do it?
3) How do I find out for sure that I have all post-SP3 security updates, hotfixes, patches etc.? (Other than re-installing Windows Pro SP3 and running Windows Update to check, of course!)
4) How do I integrate .NET Framework 3.5 SP-1, Internet Explorer 7 (and all its patches), and Windows Media Player 11 to all this?

Thanks for any advice.
--
tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

IE 7 is old and so many patches are needed for it. Why not try newer IE8?

To integrate all patches use nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/)

On the same website, you would be able to find all the information you need to integrate any software you want. Just search.

If you want in depth knowledge of unattended Windows installation then best guide is http://unattended.msfn.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users