Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound settings keep getting wiped out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

I have been trying to solve an error message for months and canít seem to find the answer.

My sound card stopped working on wmv. or pps. files within emails sent to me. Even some of the Windows Media files wouldnít work either. BUT I can play my library of music with Windows Media Player and the system sounds all work. It is related to this error message that I am getting. The error message pops up right after I boot up.

It reads: Error: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and must close. It lists the details as an svchost.exe and a ntdll.dll file which I canít identify with any particular program.

Google helped me get to your forum which offered a solution to a problem relating to a wmv video file working but no sound. It said to change three of the Auto insert registry entries to zero instead of numerical 1. I did that and hurray! The sound came back and I could access those emails with attachments that needed sound. I thought the problem was solved, but when I booted up again, the error message popped up again and my sound is out again. I canít pin down if there is a specific program that is causing the settings to change.

Does anyone know how I can nail down what the problem is? I checked in the registry and the Auto insert is still set at zero. The device manager shows my sound card and says it is working properly. I have updated drivers and that has no effect.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time you experience this problem.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

The event viewer refers to a "faulting module ntdll.dll. McAfee refers to it by System Guard name: Shared task scheduler registry key.

This is from the event viewer:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 20 30 2e ure 0.
0018: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 0.0.0 in
0020: 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 6e unknown
0028: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
0030: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs
0038: 65 74 20 37 63 39 31 31 et 7c911
0040: 39 30 39 909

I noticed that the first item that loaded before the error was related to Norton Ghost. I uninstalled Ghost and did not re install. I had my sound back for a few minutes and got the error message again and the sound was out again. Then I noticed that the error message followed my McAfee program. So I
uninstalled McAfee and re-installed it. Still am getting the error message.
I hope somebody can help me figure this out.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

You could try the System File Checker:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users