Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

drive inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KeyBob

KeyBob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hi, about a week ago I was surfing the web and I got hit by, what I think is, a computer virus. I now have an external hard drive thatís inaccessible. It has all the stuff I need. Iím willing to do the work, but at this point I donít know what to try next. If I could get directed to some resources or even just find out what virus Iím dealing with, it would be a step in the right direction. Thank you in advance for any help.

Stats:

Drive: external 500GB Western Digital (USB 2.0)

Virus Software: AVG 8.0.238 (Free version)
Virus database version: 270.11.56/2058
Release date: 4/14/2009

To anticipate the first few questions, yes I have windows update turned on, and Iím sure that my version of AVG was, and is current. I find the situation Iím in surprising, because Iíve been using AVG for several years now with no trouble at all.

What happened?

The first indication something was wrong was when my browser window got real small and then when my mouse hovered over it, it shot to a different area of the screen.

The next time I booted my computer, I noticed that in one of the directories on the drive, there werenít any files visible. At the time I assumed that I did something stupid and deleted them myself. So I tried to run file recovery app, but the app couldnít see any of the files that were missing.

The next time I booted all the files were missing, all I could see was the upper level directories. I tried to copy the directories over to another drive but I got an error message saying that the external drive wasnít ready.

The next time I booted I wasnít able to see the drive at all.

Current symptoms:

When the drive spins up, I get an audible indication from the OS that it sees the drive, and when I unplug the power from the drive, I get an audible indication from the OS that the drive has been dropped.

While the drive is (or should be) connected, it doesnít show in ďMy ComputerĒ, I also tried to changed to the drive using the DOS command line, no luck.

What Iíve tried so far:

I tried to run a couple of apps that should recover deleted files. All of these apps werenít able to see any of the missing files.

I tried to connect to the drive using the DOS command line, with no luck.

I connected the drive to two other PCs. The result was the same, there was an audible indication from the OS that it sees the drive, and when it dropped the drive, but the drive didnít show in ďMy ComputerĒ and I wasnít able to use the DOS command line to get to it.

I ran a full virus scan of my anti-virus software (AVG free version). No indication of a virus. But Iím not sure if it could see the drive at this point.

I ran Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (full scan). The result was that it didnít detect anything malicious on my PC. But again, the problem is that it wasnít able to see or scan the infected drive, even though the drive was physically connected during the scan.

Current theories:

Because the other 2 PCs werenít able to see the drive, and because the anti-virus and the Malicious Software Removal Tool didnít see anything on my PC, I believe that my OS and BIOS are okay.

Iím operating on the belief that the virus put something on the drive itself and that the data is still there, but I just canít get at it.

Plea for help:

If anyone could give me ANY direction, or even give me an idea of the name of the virus so I know what Iím up against, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Again, thank you for any helpÖ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users