Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer just randomly freezes and has to be shut down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mwpollard1971

mwpollard1971

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hello everyone! I don't consider myself to be a geek by any means, but I know my way around a computer pretty well (or so I think I do). However, I'm completely stumped and things I've tried so far just don't seem to be working.

My computer completely freezes and I have to shut it down...at minimum, once a day. I don't know if it's just coincidental or not, but I didn't start having ANY problems until I got an iPod and downloaded iTunes 8. There isn't any particular program I open that causes the problem, as I've experienced it while playing games, surfing the net, using Media Player, etc. I have uninstalled iTunes, but still have the problem.

I don't know if either of these two things are related to the same thing (and maybe the problem is compounding), but 1) I just started getting a blue screen as well saying...KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR (along with a page full of jibberish) and 2) sometimes when I boot my computer I will get a black screen that shows my 2 hard drives and my external hard drive and I am forced to press F1 to continue. Side note to #2...I've gone into the BIOS and every now and then, it shows my external drive as my boot drive (not showing/recognizing my C: drive at all). The way I've been working around that is, when my computer doesn't boot, I disconnect my external drive and reboot...sucks to do, but it's allowing me access to my computer.

As far as what I've tried to do to "fix" the problem...uninstalled iTunes, ran CHKDSK (as recommended here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315266 ), I have Norton A/V and it does a full scan every morning (with zero results, obviously) and I've run HijackThis (but not sure how to interpret the results).

Help!!

Thanks!

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

The symptoms you describe could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis. If you're not finding any malware then its sounds like one of the latter problems.

Are any files listed with the blue screen error?

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

Explanation:

This Stop message indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. It might have been caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a disk controller error, a defective motherboard, failing RAM, or because the stack signature in the kernel stack was not found. In extremely rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957626.aspx

Also read You receive an error message on a Windows XP-based computer: "Stop 0x00000077" or "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mwpollard1971

mwpollard1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

I tried to restore once. It went thru the motions and all, but once the computer started back up, it said something along the lines of "Restore unsuccessful" (or something like that). Haven't tried it from Safe Mode, so I will give that a shot. I've recently cleaned the inside of the computer to remove dirt/dust. I can handle bad RAM (inexpensive replacement), but I sure hope it's not a bad board. And there aren't any programs/files listed with the blue screen error.

I will repost--one way or another--after I restore in Safe.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users