We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO
and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO
and install it.
Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It!
and the program will open.
Click on File
and then on Open
and navigate to the RC.ISO
file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open
First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe
to the current RC.ISO
- In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
- Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
- Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
- Click File and select Save As...
- Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
- Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
- Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
- Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
- In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
- Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
- And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup
screen, press R
to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter
At the C:\Windows>
prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter
after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied
which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.