Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps cra**ing out

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gookin

Gookin

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi guys,

I built my own PC about 2 years ago now and its been running fine (give or take the odd virus) ever since then. However, now if I turn it on and leave it for a while, when I come back, my screen is blank with the red flight flashing (indicating the monitor is on but receiving no signal) and the computer is still on. All the fans are still running but the HDD light is permanently on. I press and hold my power button to turn the PC off as I cannot shut it down properly, and then turn it back on, but the HDD light remains lit, I get no beep indicating the machine is starting up and then nothing else happens.

I thought this may be a one off occurrence but have now experienced this 4/5 times. I have since taken my computer apart and put it back together twice to see if the hardware is all OK and it all seems fine, but still the problem occurs.

With all the symptoms I think it must be a hardware problem although I'm not the most knowledgeable of people.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sending this from my laptop,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gookin

Gookin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

What I forgot to say also was that I had to leave the machine for a while before it would successfully start up again =S

#3 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

Sounds like there might be a heat issue. See if you can find something in the event log:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Gookin

Gookin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

Right before it buggered up there were a lot of errors that read the same thing:

ERROR
Source: FW1
Category: None
Event ID: 1
Description: FW1: C
Sending reset dire

Data: 0000: 00000000 00400002 c0000001
0001: 00000001 00000000 00000000
0002: 00000000 00000000

#5 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Seems that the error message you posted is incomplete, there should have been more text that accompanied it. This is going to fall into an area that I am not 100% versed in, so hopefully another member will chime in on it.
One thing to try, disconnect from the internet and then disable all firewall products. Allow the machine to run, open some programs and allow them to populate. Then attempt a normal shutdown and restart. If all works, then something has gone wrong in your prevention programs.

Please re-enable all security programs before connecting to the internet again.

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users