Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-system disk, press any key

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bob507

bob507

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

My computer: HP Laptop zd7100, 3GHz. Windows XP home, SP2. No floppy drive. CD R/W, DVD.

At cold or warm boot I get the immediate message: Non-system disk, press any key.
There's nothing in my CD drive, of course. I press a key, and then wait about 90 - 120 seconds until I see the XP welcome screen.

I have run AdAware, SpyBot, Spyware Blocker, etc. My Norton AntiVirus is up to date and does a complete sweep once a week.

There's trouble with my email reader (Earthlink + Mozilla Thunderbird) but that's probably another problem for another day.

I would like to be rid of that startup message and have a faster bootup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

Go to your device manager (control panel/system/device mgr) and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks or red question marks in the cd/dvd drives. If so, click on troubleshooter.

Even if there aren't, highlite the cd/dvd player, right click and click on properties, click the driver tab and select update driver.

#3 bob507

bob507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:04 PM

No colorful marks found.

Attempted to reload driver from CD. Message for both was "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

Add to original post: I have also run Registry First Aid.

#4 bob507

bob507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

I am wondering what happened to my dialog with Enthusiast. I last heard from him (her) 4 days ago, then nothing. I notice, by browsing other posts, that he's still in town. So why the sudden lack of Enthusiasm?

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

You might have a problem with the battery on your motherboard, and your CMOS isn't saving the settings. Try putting a new battery in.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:05 PM

Did you run the wizzard in the device manager? The "troubleshooter" in the general tab, not the driver section?

Does your system operate properly when you insert a cd? Can you access what's on it?

Unless your Registry First Aid changed something addressing your optical drive I can't think that this is anything but a hardware problem.

Try cleaning the optical drive.

#7 bob507

bob507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:34 PM

Enthusiast --

General Troubleshooter asks:

My drive can read a CD-ROM, but it cannot play an audio CD.
My drive can play an audio CD, but it cannot read a CD-ROM.
My DVD drive can read a CD-ROM and play an audio CD, but it cannot play a DVD.
My drive cannot read or play any type of disc.

None of these apply. The CD drive is working fine. I can access it for both read and write.

Leurgy --

There's no evidence of battery problem. All other stuff that needs to be remembered, including the clock setting, is trouble-free.

I think everyone is missing an important clue. My original message said: "At cold or warm boot I get the immediate message: Non-system disk, press any key." The key word is "immediate." That tells me that the problem is in the early boot process, not in such hardware as the CD drive, etc.

What about the Master Boot Record (MBR)?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

Ok, I'll ask the stupid question. The most common reason for that error message is that there is a disk in the floppy drive. I'll assume you checked that though. Next on the list would be a loose cable, but that is intermittent usually, and will happen at other times than startup (ie, weird, sporadic crashes)

After that is bad hard drive, but again, that is sporadic and intermittent. Have you checked your bios to see what order the boot up sequence is in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users