Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clubmillionaire

clubmillionaire

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

Hello all,

I have been having a problem with my computer dropping its wireless connection. I had this problem when I first got my computer. It would drop the connection periodically and I would have to reconnect. Then it seemed to "resolve". I reformatted my computer last week and instantly got the same problem back.

Here is scenario. I will be connected to the network wireless, then I get a bubble window telling me I am connected and my signal strength. I click the "x" to close and then I immediately get the bubble window again. Then it drops the connection. I have to reconnect through "view network connections". Sometimes it reconnects, then sometimes it asks for the WPA password. Sometimes the password is entered, other times I have to reenter it.

Then I did some research to see if the problem was solved somehow. I found out that if I use the eventvwr I could find out that error logs.

Here's what happens:

1. 10:42:13pm Information – Source TCIP - The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{2E1F4D98-4BDB-4D24-BC98-95CF8E7E81FA} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
2. 10:41:18pm Information – Source TCIP - The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{2E1F4D98-4BDB-4D24-BC98-95CF8E7E81FA} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
3. 10:42:18pm Warning – Source DHCP - Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00166F27D16D. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
4. 10:42:23pm Warning – Source DHCP - Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00166F27D16D. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

I have tried a whole bunch of solutions without success. I have searched the internet high and low but no successful answer. I am going freakin’ bonkers with this problem. I had forgotten how much of a problem it is.

I am using Windows XP SP3.
Gateway CX2620
Comodo Firewall - I have uninstalled and shut it down without any success. I don't think it is the firewall. No other firewall running.

Note: I had this problem before, it resolved somehow, and since I reformated and started overagain the problem is back again.

Thanks in advance for your expert help and solutions.

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clubmillionaire

clubmillionaire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

Is there anyone who has encountered this problem? Or at least point me in the direction of a possible solution.

I have researched it on the Net and there are many people with the same problem but no viable solution or even an explanation.

Help please.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

i will not pretend to be an expert and i do not have a wireless router but i have heard many complaints about lost connections. some routers are far worse than others. when you ask the dhcp server (your router) for access it is suppose to give you an IP address for a certain amount of time (a lease). when the lease runs out it should automatically renew. you may be able to tell your router you want a fixed lease and therefore never disconnect.
also, next time you loose your connection you can open a command prompt box and check your IP by typing ipconfig /all
if IP 192.168.x.xxx then it is probably supplied by router
if IP 0.0.0.0 or 169.xxx.xxx.xxx (windows default) then router not supplying IP
in this case type ipconfig /release
then ipconfig /renew
this should get you an IP from the router
also, i have seen flaky connections in certain areas of the house and by simply turning the laptop it finds the connection.
happy troubleshooting

#4 clubmillionaire

clubmillionaire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried the ipconfig release, renew to no avail.

I can't believe that someone hasn't taken this on just to see if they can fix it. I know those that are capable are often inspired by a seemingly unsolveable problem. LOL.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

#5 clubmillionaire

clubmillionaire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

Hello everyone,

Ok, I found out the problem. Although I am little embarrassed about it. Apparently, the intel pro wireless driver needed to be updated. It was weired that windows didn't update it automatically and that it was under the optional update list. Anyway, all is good now. Thanks to those that took the time to see my post and give my problem consideration.

Cheers for now,
Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users