Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootvid.dll

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 iwalkalone

iwalkalone

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

Okay this is the second time that it has happen. I just got my laptop for like 1 month+, the first time it happened was on 1st of April. Okay to the main point now. I was switching on my laptop when there was this screen that said, windows cannot start because there is not bootvid.dll or something like tat. Basically i don't have this .dll so it asked me to use a disk. Some restore disk if i am not wrong. I not sure if i have it.

I when to search for bootvid.dll, i realised it can be downloaded online. But i read a page that says that it's a virus. So i am blur about what it is. Is this some problem or a virus or something else. I hope someone will be able to enlighten me.

Some additional information, i have had the blue screen of death a few times. It said memory mangement most of the time and penlist corrupt once. Not sure if i got the spelling right. It has not appeared for quite a while after i used the start from last good configuration or something like that. Wonder if they are linked. Sorry about the bits and pieces of information, I don't have a clue about what is going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

The file path for bootvid.dll is C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache \ bootvid.dll
It is the VGA Boot Driver
Try reloading your video driver
You need to be more precise with your BSOD error messages
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 iwalkalone

iwalkalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

Okay, i tried looking for the file. But i don't think there's a dllcache file in my computer. If there's 1, i can't find it. Can you teach me how to reload my video driver??? For the BSOD, i am sorry. I will try and catch as much as i can when it happens next time. So this means that bootvid.dll is not a virus, but a necessary file during booting up my com?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Need the Make and exact model number
It should be on the bottom
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 iwalkalone

iwalkalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:48 AM

My laptop is a aspire 4937g and the video card is a NVIDIA GeForce G105M. That's all you need to know right? Oh yeah, regarding the BSOD message. Where is the important area i should look at? I mean some parts like the "if this problem persist contact your etc etc" and " dumping of physical memory" stuff like that are not important right? I should just look for the "file" that's causing the problem?

#6 iwalkalone

iwalkalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

I just got the BSOD, i saw this message at the 2nd or 3rd sentence. IRQL_Not_less_or_equal

Well, the other parts of the BSOD seems like the same? "Hardware or software problems" and stuff. I did not really had lot of time to catch everything. Is the message enough for you to solve the problem?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

This is your video driver

http://sgdownload.acer.com.tw/GDFiles%5CDr...731335138220698

To disable automatic restart when you get a BSOD:

1. Click 'Start'
2. Click on 'Run'
3. Type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
4. Click on the 'Advanced' tab
5. Click on the 'Startup and Recovery' Settings button
6. Uncheck 'Automatically restart', then click on OK
7. Click on OK to exit the System applet, then close the Control Panel.
8. Reboot for the changes to take effect

NOTE: There is an option to do this when your system reboots into menu that allows you to choose Safe Mode (if you have SP2 installed) - just scroll down the list and you'll see it.
------------------------

Also check your Event Viwer for problems that happened around the time of the BSOD

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

diagnosing BSOD

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
Mark
Posted Image

#8 iwalkalone

iwalkalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

So, you want to see what happened in my event viewer right?

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

The COM+ Event System could not remove the EventSystem.EventSubscription object {3C4FB634-3FF8-482C-8692-6737AED11CA6}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The HRESULT was 80070005.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

The first 2 are the most common one, the rest are just failed windows updates or firefox or my antivirus closing unexpectedly. They all are from the application tab in Windows Logs.

Oh yeah, you want me to download the video driver or what?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Oh yeah, you want me to download the video driver or what?

I would
Mark
Posted Image

#10 iwalkalone

iwalkalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

Downloaded and installed.

#11 iwalkalone

iwalkalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

BSOD, here's the line.

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x8264c313 OxA41F6BF0, 0x00000000)

Yup, this is the line. Can you help me?

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

I believe I would treat this as a virus infection and proceed in that direction, ensuring that you are virus and malware free
Mark
Posted Image

#13 iwalkalone

iwalkalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

Yup did that. Used MBAM and McAfee, was clean. Anyway, when i booted my computer around 10 minutes ago, another BSOD came up (: Here's what it said, PFN_LIST_COURRPT ***STOP:0x0000004E (0X00000002, 0x00040255, 0x000BFEFF, 0X00001000)

Well appears to be some problem, lol there is a problem. Anyway, i don't suppose you will be able to help me on this? Not a virus or malware. I appreciate all the time you have used in helping me solve this problem, though it was not solve, i am still glad that you tried (: Now i will most likely approach the Acer helpdesk to see if they can fix this. Thanks for the help once again, it's because of people like you that makes bleepingcomputer such a great place to visit :]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users