Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Corel Draw 4

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bacchusman

bacchusman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

I have a Windows 98 OS. I've had a never used copy of Corel Draw 4 sitting around for many years. I finally decided to install it. It immediately converted all my JPEGs to Corel and then doesn't want to open any of them. It also will not let me save any of my JPEGs in any other program (such as Microsoft Photo Editor), even when I'm using that program. It's also caused crashes more often than not.

There is no uninstall option anywhere that I have been able to find with this program. How do I uninstall it? It is not listed in the Add/Remove programs option in the Control Panel. Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

No uninstall and it's not in Add/Remove? eech! That wont be easy to get it out of the registry - others may be able to advise you if there is a registry util which will do it. As for the jpg files you will have to alter the file allocations -
I don't have Win98 infront of me so I'm doing this from memory, but basically you need to click on My Computer - in the menu bar is a Tools menu - click Folder Options. One of the tabs is 'Files' I think. Now you should have a long list of file types which Windows recognises, scroll down until you find .jpg or .jpeg files. Highlight it.
In the lower part of the window you will see info about the program to which that file is allocated - in your case probably CorelDraw.
I think if you click on that entry and click the edit button and you are presented with a list of programs to use to open "files of this type", scroll through the list till you find the one you want to use e.g. Microsoft Photo Editor and select that.
Then you OK or Apply out of the Folder Options.
Now when you click on a .jpg it should open with the application you chose.

Hope you can find your way through that rather hazy explanation. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:33 PM

Another way to do that is to pick a .jpeg file, highlight it and holding down the Shift key, right click and select Open with. In the box that comes up, scroll through the list until you find the program that you want to use and highlight that, making sure that the box is checked that says "Always use this program to open this type of file". Click ok.

Did you look in Start>Programs>Corel to see if you can uninstall from there? Also find the Corel folder in Program Files and look for an uninstaller there. Sometimes they are called unwise.exe.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

Dammit, why didn't I remember that instead of typing all that gobbledegook?
Nice one Leurgy! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:12 AM

gobbledegook r us :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestion on converting the jpegs using the shift key, etc. It worked, altho strangely the Corelpaint icon remains for everyone of them!! On the uninstall--there is no uninstall option anywhere that I can find. In the Programs/Corel/Config folder it shows 5 registry keys, so that may be the clue to what's in the registry. If that's the case, do you have a suggestion on how I can go about removing Corel? Thanks

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:37 PM

I've looked everywhere on the internet and through the Corel site and I can't find anything about uninstalling that program. I'm sure thats partly because its so old. Does it run at startup?

Can you copy those registry keys into a post so we can have a look at them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users