Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Vs Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

My Mother In Law has a Dell XPS 430 Desktop, which she has had for about 2 years. She has had AVG on from the beginning and run regular scans. There has always been very few infections picked up by AVG. The computer has seemed like it is running good from day 1 until now. I recently installed Malwarebytes on the computer after hearing good reviews. The full scan to my surprise picked up 556 infections. The 3 major ones were Adware My Web Search, Rogue Drive Cleaner and Rogue Anti-Virus Protection. I proceeded to delete all of the infections. Are these quite harmful trojans? Why wouldn't the computer's performance started to deteriorated. Why wouldn't have AVG picked up any of the Infections that Malwarebytes detected. Appreciate the feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:12 AM

What version of AVG does your mother in law run cap2587? It has been upgrade to version 8.5 and older versions are not supported. I hope the computer is running better for her now. Are all windows updates current? It is important to keep the updates current for security reasons. If windows is not secure AVG could miss things I suppose, but it is hard to say. What other applications are there in place for security on the computer?

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Why wouldn't have AVG picked up any of the Infections that Malwarebytes detected.

...MBAM is not designed as an antivirus and doesn't function as such. There are many things MBAM doesn't catch, as the developers don't waste their time adding detection rules for malware that is already caught by the majority of AV programs. Instead they concentrate on the things AV programs generally miss. A good AV paired with MBAM is a very effective combination as each will genearlly catch what the other fails to find.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...amp;#entry64529

Is Malwarebytes' Antivirus?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users