Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ie6setup errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigpizza2000

bigpizza2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:55 PM

Hi
To use MSN i was told i needed to install insternet explorer 6, as i only have version 5.5 installed.(I am using windows ME for some unknown reason), I downloaded the installation file, ie6setup, but when the installation has seemingly finished i get a message which says 'one or more components has not been installed. please close all applications and try again'. I have not had any applications running any time i have tried to install it, and if i try it again it tells me i have a pending installation and must reboot.. so i seem to be going round in circles!! I am trying to install the minimum components, just explorer and the offline browser so it can only be that which is causing the problems.

I have previously had some problems with internet explorer on my computer and so have just used the yahoo browser instead as the blue 'e' on my shortcut disappeared and was replaced by a folder, and internet explorer has not worked since.

i dont know if it is wise to completely uninstall explorer 5.5 and try again or if this will just cause more problems. apparently problems like this are quite common but nobody i know can fix it!

if anybody can help i would be huuuuugely grateful...
jenny.

Edited by bigpizza2000, 18 June 2005 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

I don't know if it has anything to do with your problem but there is a tutorial to fix IE here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ress-tut71.html

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Dimwitt

Dimwitt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

I'm new here and by no means am a professional.

I did however recently have the same problem. I have had to use my system recovery cd twice in the last month and subsequently, had to re-install ie6. I have used this method twice and I have had no problem either time. it literally took less than five minutes.

C:Program FilesInternet ExplorerUninstall Information
folder to another folder and then were able to install Internet Explorer SP1.

http://computing.net/windowsme/wwwb...orum/30205.html

#4 Dimwitt

Dimwitt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:17 PM

OPPS

Try this one

http://computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/30205.html

#5 bigpizza2000

bigpizza2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:03 AM

thanks for your help!
i dont however have anything called UninstallInformation in my internet explorer folder and so cant follow the instructions. any ideas?!?

#6 Dimwitt

Dimwitt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:40 PM

After you open your ie folder, right click,select properties,uncheck the "hidden" box. Than the uninstall folder should appear.

I hope.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users