Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore not restoring from existing restore point

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 njkemps

njkemps

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Running XPHome, and trying to fix my Security Center (disabled in Services and can't be enabled) . . . there doesn't appear to be a way to fix that problem so System Restore came to mind. I can invoke SR OK, pick an earlier point (there are several back through March 29), and click "Next" to get to a "Confirm Restore Point Selection" screen. Once there, I can click next dozens of times, or once and wait . . . and nothing happens.

Trying to restore from Safe Mode is even less productive. On startup, when selecting "no" to enter System Restore, I get a message saying that System Restore cannot be used, and that I should reboot and try again. That hasn't worked (I've tried).

The System Restore Service is running, so something else is preventing SR from advancing. What are my options here? (Or, while we're at it, what can I do about my disabled Security Center Service?)

Thanks for any ideas -

Edited by njkemps, 14 April 2009 - 07:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

The Security Center being shut down is a possible symptom of Conficker being on your computer. Go to the link below to check your system.

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/wiki/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 njkemps

njkemps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply . . . and (thankfully) my system doesn't appear to have a Conficker problem. Unfortunately no improvement in System Restore, either.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks -

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply . . . and (thankfully) my system doesn't appear to have a Conficker problem. Unfortunately no improvement in System Restore, either.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks -

I did a quick search on the web and got this one, I would also go to Microsoft and check to see what is there.

http://www.cpucare.com/how-to-faqs/OS/XP/W...Not_Working.htm

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users