Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk drive won't recognize music CDs or any other disks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HouseBoat

HouseBoat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

I recently disabled autoplay. The other day I was having trouble with my wireless printer, and was prompted to put in the printer's solution center disk. After puting in the disk, nothing happened (as was expected after disabling autoplay). I opened up My Computer and there was no D:// drive icon. It was as if there were no CD inserted. So, I tried a number of other CDs with the same result. I set my autoplay back to normal in group processes, restarted my machine, but still nothing. I guess I just need a little direction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

Go to device manager by going to control panel, system, hardware tab, and then device manager. If you're running vista, it would be easiest to just type "device manager" into the search box.

In device manager, is your drive under the dvd/cd drives section? If not, do you have any unkown devices in device manager?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

I opened up My Computer and there was no D:// drive icon

Delete the upper/lower filter keys
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 HouseBoat

HouseBoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

In device manager, is your drive under the dvd/cd drives section? If not, do you have any unkown devices in device manager?

I don't even have a dvd/cd drive section listed in my device manager. I do, however, have an unknown device listed.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

Did you try what garmanma suggested? It looks very helpful.

If that method fails, can you take a screenshot of your device manager for us?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 HouseBoat

HouseBoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

I deleted upper and lower filter keys, and still nothing. A screen shot of my device manager is attached.

Attached Files

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

I think the easiest thing to do would be to unplug the cd drive from your computer (unplug either the IDE or SATA cable from it to the motherboard), turn the computer on and let windows load up. After Windows loads up, shut down the computer normally. Once it's off, plug the cable abck into the cd drive. When you turn the compuetr on, Windows should detect a new device and automatically install the drivers for it.

If that doesn't work, what's the make and model of the cd drive? We may be able to find the drivers for it online.

#8 HouseBoat

HouseBoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

I reconnected my cd drive, and so far, so good. I inserted an audio CD, and was able to import it into my iTunes library. Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:27 AM

I'm glad everything worked out! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users