Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tiffy09

tiffy09

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

Okay, so this might be kinda long but hopefully I will give enough information for someone to help. Please help! My computer was full of viruses and spyware. Long story short, ended up having a techie friend back up my files on an external hard drive, wipe the dang thing, and reinstall windows. Ever since, I can't get my wireless internet working. As of now I am connected via ethernet cable. I have a Dell Laptop and my wireless router/modem is a 2wire Gateway model# 2701HG-B. The device manager says my LAN card is working properly. I had to reset Windows to manage networks. Now in the Wireless Network Connection window it just says "No wireless networks found in range." On the router, all the lights are green except for the wireless one which is not lit up at all. I don't imagine this is a problem with the 2wire because it was working just fine before the virus issue with the laptop. My laptop is my only computer so no way to test another computer with it. When I go to Control Panel>Network Connections, the Wireless Network Connection's status is "Not Connected, Firewalled." I even tried unplugging the router and disconnecting everything else, then plugging it all back in and turning the computer back on.....and got the same thing. I'm so frustrated! What can I do?

Edited by tiffy09, 14 April 2009 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hello tiffy09,

Did your friend also install all applicable updates and service packs from Windows Update? In Internet Explorer, click Tools, then click Windows Update and follow the instructions from there.

Another member here recently had a similar problem:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1223501

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

Did you reset the router and reinstall the firmware? You can not depend on things working the same way with a new re load, everything is "Start Over".

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users