Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting old computer?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

A friend of mine is giving me his old desktop, it has been sitting about 3 years now after 1 year of use. He and his wife quit using it after getting a bug that removed all their icons but not background. There tech support was really bad and 10 days later it was still unusable. It some kind of HP, sounds like it should be upper tier XP with seperate cd and dvd in it. Feedback will help with my decision either way. When I get it I'll post the specifics of it.

Dan

Edited by danjmilos, 14 April 2009 - 05:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

If you can get into windows that's a start. You can always re-install windows if it takes that.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

I am sure you would enjoy solving its problems or formatting the hard disk:)
But before you go hogwild and jump to format or partition the hard disk, make sure you have all driver and software cds. If not download all the drivers and software from the manufacturer's website.

Edited by Romeo29, 15 April 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#4 danjmilos

danjmilos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

HI,
What's the post limit here? I have about 30kbs about the old computer.

Dan

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:25 AM

Not sure if its really long it will split in to multiple post. We have some pretty long logs here in the HJT and Am I infected forums so give it a shot.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 danjmilos

danjmilos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

This is the facts, only the facts as I know them. It’s an HP Pavilion 477v I think. It came into being sometime in the year 2003, AMD 2100 processor, 60 gig partitioned hard drive
c\ and d\ the recovery set. CD and DVD ROMS and floppy drive, 512 RAM one expansion slot. Windows XP Professional OS and a large package of different software added to this system.
After finding a good monitor and keyboard and half decent mouse, it jumps some I had to figure out a plan of attack. I decided to make this a test of the malware programs also.

Friday night is a short time so I had 2 challengers paired up, Avast Anti-Virus Remover and Microsoft Windows Malicious Removal Tool or whatever. Downloaded both in the office, saved to CD and away I went. First starting the HP; what an overloaded malware ridden piece of electronics if ever there was one. No background, icons that should have been there but really didn’t work but looked good. IE opening itself not once but 50 times before stopping, no completely functional Task Manager so closed them all by clicking. Opened the tray loaded the cd and away I went, autoplay worked when it was done clicked Avast, went through a quick setup and left for a half hour. Came back to see how it was doing, nothing found but a lot of files it couldn’t scan and still scanning, enough of this STOP close. Next MWMSRT, it set right up clicked full scan, START and away I went. Couldn’t get back for almost 2 hours, expected to find it stalled out or something, instead there it was scanning it’s little heart out finding things, a couple of Trojans, some named malwares 30 in all at that point. Checked again, up to 45 and almost closing time at the theatre, closed the accounts for the day all deposit and paperwork in order time to see where the scan stands 51 only a little to go shut down the booth in that area I’ll check it in 10 minutes go back it is off? No power to the outlet, connected to a breaker for a projector 3.5 hours of scanning gone. Figured out which breaker for reference plan for tomorrow. Back to c-net started downloading free programs malware removal. Avast Anti-Virus, Antivirus Defender or ATF, Norman Malware Remover, Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner and 2 others, burnt to disc ready to go.

Next day it knew something was up. Booted normal again, IE really complained almost 100 this time could keep up no way to run a computer, turned it off. Rebooted F-8 safe mode with networking. Installed Revo and CCleaner both loaded and set right up. Revo tracks cleaner IE then Firefox no hitch. CCleaner files cleaner click analyze it kept loading and loading and loading finally froze up, closed it down, AFT won’t load. One last thing to try, START, run, cookies, ok. Cookies right there before my eyes, INDEX and 3 files. Opened a file 100’s and 1000’s of cookies closed file, opened another same thing. Right click file, delete, yes empty recycle bin repeat with other files INDEX a different problem need that for IE to work right 1000’s there too. Avast won’t load oh well. AntiV Def won’t Acronious or something won’t load. 1.5 hours nothing, oh well keep going. Dr.Web cureit bingo!!! Do quick scan tell it how the objects as I’m watching 35 minutes later it’s done, 65 nasties deleted, moved or left alone. It finds but cannot do anything with Trojan.Noclose, better than nothing. Start full scan this could take awhile. Watch another 50 minutes, 65 more nasties. Tell myself go do something to hypnotic standing here watching, make rounds , come back go come back go come back go close again looked like half hour that point. Done closing go see what the final count is. Still SCANNING!!! 12:45am I can’t stay, 6 hours and not done. Oh well it will shut off when the other manager closes booth. At this point 219 different objects78 tracking cookies, 1 hacktool, the rest Trojans. But I have my plan for tomorrow.

Arrive early to get started cause I have to open. Disc in the room I F-8 boot put in disc to see what sticks, 4 programs nothing, 2 left mbam it takes hot dog, setup a breeze. No quick scan here the full deal or nothing, start scan leave feeling good. 12:10pm everything up an running time to check mbam. Scan is done 39 minutes all kind of objects time to take care of the nasties. Make a desktop folder to copy the logs to I’ll connect a printer later if I want hard copies. Time to try my last program SAS, it won’t install in safe mode, time to try a regular boot. Start, shutdown, restart. Watch the screen see how it goes, HP invent, welcome, there it is a normal looking desktop, nice ‘63 Vette icons all lined up nice. No strange AV tray icons all 4 gone, an hp icon, MS mess., and network icon. All is great. Lets do SAS now. Installed with ease, run quickie more objects, damn. Take care of them now a full scan. Watch for 10 minutes more finds, I can’t watch leave. Return an hour later, it’s done look at that list, Trojans, tracking cookies, other nasties let’s cut them out. Copy the logs to the folder, do a little desktop cleanup to make it look neater. Try ATF still no go, CCleaner works this time still seems to be a lot of temp IE on it’s scan, can’t find where they are hiding. I’m going to see about an internet connection next weekend without networking it to the theatres computers I wouldn’t trust it as far as I can throw it.

I’ll entertain suggestions for what’s next besides on-line scans.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Mcafee Stinger, AVG Free edition
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 danjmilos

danjmilos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Chad,
Thanks!!! If I gat on line this weekend I'll try it, or could I download it and burn disc?

Dan

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

You can install them from just about anything. I keep them on my USB stick. You will want to make sure you get the latest definitions if the computer is not connected to the internet.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 danjmilos

danjmilos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Chad,
Any virus, malware, trojans, or what not are 3 years old the most up to date would be best if older would it matter too much?

Dan

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:36 AM

While its always best to be completely up to date. In this case you may be safe. To be sure though once you can get the computer online I would update and scan again.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

Bit defender has a good online scan too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users