Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damaged DVD burner, XP won't start in Normal mode

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 spiraling

spiraling

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

I have a Toshiba Portege M400 that I bought second hand loaded with XP Tablet PC Edition. So far so good until my relatives decided to load it up with spyware
and somehow managed to kill the DVD Rom. They even managed to overwrite the password and forget it. Thank God for creating second admin acct! :thumbsup:

So at this point I have a PC that crashes during normal boot with a 0x0000007F error (0x00000000, 0x80042000,0x00000000, 0x00000000) when starting to load the screen.

I tested the memory by removing each stick and it runs fine.

I can go in safe mode and I did spyware sweep which cleaned it up but still hangs during the boot up.

I wonder if the jammed DVD Rom could be the issue? There's no CD stuck in it and it shows as operational under the OS but it can't open or close. Would I need to do anything on it, like disconnect the power from the mobo or it should be ok that way?

I have a spare USB DVD burner that won't boot Windows XP install CDs on this PC. I get the following:
PXE-E61 - Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
At which point it loads the OS from the HDD and blue screens
again.

I'd appreciate any suggestions at this point as I am pretty much against the wall with ideas.

Maybe a USB flash drive OS install? or could there be a way for me still to repair the existing OS? As luck would have it I didn't get any OS disks for this PC, I tried to boot from my other PCs XP install disc to see at least if the external USB DVD drive would boot installation disc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:41 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

An optical drive that won't open or close shouldn't be cause for BSOD's. It sounds to me more like a spyware/virus issue, or while cleaning it out, a file important to Windows was deleted.

If you're trying to do a repair or a clean installation, try opening the drive by putting a bent paper clip into the little hole. I'm pretty sure most cd/dvd drives have one. This is what it looks like: http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/im...isc-eject-1.jpg .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

I opened it but looks like it is done for as it won't spin, somehow it is going back sideways and the rails on it are damaged.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

Do you have the boot order in the BIOS to boot off of USB first?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

I believe I do, but never had to mess with Toshiba bios before so it is a bit confusing.
Looks to me like it is searching for it but it doesn't find it.

Right now I have it on Boot Priority:
HDD->CD ROM->LAN->FDD

HDD Priority:
USB->Second HD->Built in HDD

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hmm, without a usb boot option, you're pretty limited. Try switching the CD Rom to first, and try the LAN as second (just in case) and set hard drive to third of fourth. Now try the external cd drive.

#7 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Strange thing is that the USB DVD drive is seen when I am in Safe Mode.

Weird...

How about somehow splitting the internal hard drive so I can run the reinstallation or repair of the internal hard drive?

I also can hook it up as external enclosure to another PC, I have a USB/FW enclosure for laptop drives.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

Well, if you can take the hard drive out, put it in an enclosure, and hook it up to another computer and format it, that may help. However, you won't be able to install windows onto the enclosure and then put it back into the tablet.

I was thinking if you could make a small partition on the drive and put the files needed to install windows onto it, you could then install Windows to the rest of the drive (is that what you meant about splitting the drive?). I'm sorry because I'm not very sure how you would go about doing this though :thumbsup:

#9 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

Yes, I meant creating an extra fat32 partition by resizing the current installation and somehow attempting to do a restore from there.

My other option, provided the the PC recognizes USB at all, is to load an 8 gig memory stick with the Windows installation files and somehow get it going from there. I've seen some lessons on that so I might attempt it.

I am still hoping to restore the existing OS so that is my first choice of action cause I'd have to purchase another XP license since the PC is out of warranty and Toshiba won't supply the restore discs for free.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

If you have the serial number for xp, you can legally reinstall Windows and reuse the code.

#11 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

I have the serial but I am not sure where to find the particular OEM version they used on this installation.

I'd appreciate some help if you know.

I have a later OEM version that I purchased for another system build but I believe that it is different.

#12 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

I have an OEM disk from Dell which I've used on many systems such as Compaqs, and hps. I'm pretty sure the oem disks are pretty much the same thing. The only thing is, with the dell disk, under computer info where it shows the serial number, it will say Dell. This doesn't cause any problems however. Just remember, it's illegal to use a serial more than once. Use the serial that your computer is currently using.

Edited by Sterling14, 21 April 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#13 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

So if I use the OEM disc I bought later for another machine and put in my current machine serial it should work? BTW - that is a Windows (non-manufacturer) OEM disc.
Thanks.

#14 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Yes, it should still work.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

FWIW: I believe that a dead drive (any type) may possibly inhibit booting. I've had that experience on one or more of my desktops.

I suggest disabling the malfunctioning drive in the BIOS...before attempting boot. Just for the sake of comparison.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users