Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Ive upgraded my RAM, and I still get that my computers memory is too low, and it is increasing my virtual memory.....
do I need to change my settings in virtual memory in accordance to the RAM upgrade? and HOW do I that???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

:flowers:

How many sticks of RAM do you have? Few more Details may help us, Mate? Such as your System?

:thumbsup:

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Incompatible RAM can be just as bad as not enough RAM?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

Virtual memory(also known as paging file) should be about 1.5 times of your physical RAM, as suggested by Microsoft. For example, if you have 1 GB RAM, then virtual memory should be 1.5 GB.

To adjust, your virtual memory:
1. Right click on My Computer icon and select Properties.
2. Click on Adavanced tab and click on the Settings button in the Performance box.
3. This would open another dialog titled Performance Options. Select Adavaced tab in this too.
4. Click on the Change button in the bottom of the dialog box.
5. This would open a dialog box to adjust your virtual memory.

Its always a good idea to let Windows choose the paging file(virtual memory) size automatically, by choosing System Managed option.
By default, the paging file is selected only for the system drive(on which Windows is installed, in most cases C:)
Some experts suggest that, if you have a separate hard disk drive (supposedly faster), then you can choose to store paging file on that drive for better performance.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417/

Edited by Romeo29, 14 April 2009 - 03:35 PM.

#5 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

I have 2 sticks, each being 256.I got the RAM from " crucial .com" as recommended by sum1 in here in a previous post. I chose the RAM recommended by crucial for my system,and purchased what my wallet allowed me to yank out of it.
I am running Windows XP

Also, sum1 had told my roommate that when upgrading RAM, the new stick should go into the slot where the old stick was,, then place the old stick into the next available slot.
When I installed the new stick I placed it in the next available slot.
Does it matter which slot the new stick goes into? It was recognized by my system.

I checked virtual memory, 2 see how much my system set up 2 use.
441MB total paging file
Processor scheduling: programs
Memory Usage: programs
Virtual Memory: total paging file for all drives 441MB

Edited by spiritwolf1226, 15 April 2009 - 07:47 AM.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

Try running the Machine with one Stick in Number one Slot, then try the other one after removing it. Just see if there is a difference, just one stick at a time? Also look to see if they both are single or Double? (Single layer of noudles on one side or Noudles on both sides) If different report back.

I had a terrible time with incompatible RAM years ago.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

It doesn't matter which slot you put the RAM stick into.
If you are sharing RAM with video memory, then Windows would see lesser RAM.

Open StartMenu > Run and type winver
RAM available to Windows would be shown at the bottom in that dialog.

If you have 512 MB RAM then 441 MB pagefile is not right. It can reduce system performance.

#8 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

After doing the winver as suggested,it shows:
Physical memory available to windows : 522,224KB
How do I figure out what virtual memory should be or what should it now be ?

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

I think it should be set to 768 for the initial siize. If you look at the page for this setting, it will tell you the recommended size. Mine is set just slightly higher than the recommended setting. The maximum size set for mine is about 1000 meg higher than the initial size is set for

Edited by Stang777, 15 April 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

Just multiply whatever RAM is available to Windows by 1.5 to get optimal virtual memory size.
In this case 522 * 1.5 = 783 MB.

BTW its strange, Windows is seeing 522 MB and not 512 MB.
If the RAM is 512 MB then what Stang777 has suggested, 768 MB should be optimal virtual memory size.

Setting higher virtual memory size that this on slower hard disks is not suggested. Also if you set higher virtual memory size, then it is better to store pagefile.sys on a seperate hard disk to improve performance.

#11 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

I went back to virtual memory, it shows 384 MB now,diff than b4.
clicked on advanced,change,,it shows:
Drive C:
Space available 23304MB
Custom size (highlighted) :
initial size (mb) 384
maximum size (mb) 768
total paging file size for all drives
minimum allowed 2mb
recommended 763
currently allocated 384mb

I re-read previous posts by Romeo29 where u suggest letting windows choose the paging file size.
u recommend I change it 2 this?
Maybe this is the problem

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Your initial size should be atleast the recommended size. My recommended size is 958 and I have my initial size set at 960 which is 1.5 the amount of ram I have. This setting was set when my computer was made by the professionals.

Btw, I do not know if it matters but I do not have mine set to let windows set the size and since my computer is not slow at all, even with only 640 meg of ram, I have not changed this setting from the way it was originally set up.

You can always try setting it yourself to what it should be and if that does not increase your performance, then go back in and change it to let windows set the size and see if that makes a difference. Theoretically, if you have it set to the correct amount, then there is no need to let windows set it. I think the recommendation to let windows set that is because a lot of people do not know the correct setting to have it at.

Edited by Stang777, 15 April 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

I think people may have missed this?

Also, sum1 had told my roommate that when upgrading RAM, the new stick should go into the slot where the old stick was,, then place the old stick into the next available slot.
When I installed the new stick I placed it in the next available slot.

Main reason why I asked Spiritwolf to do a Test on both Sticks of RAM, one is old and other is New?

Incompatible RAM can do what is happening. It looks great else where, but causes similar Problems that can baffle you.

Edited by Abacus 7, 15 April 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#14 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

the original 256 is only 4yrs old,,, would it make that much of a diff?
i havent tried switching the sticks yet, didnt have the time 2 do it 2day,, but i will try it 2morrow
for the moment i switched the virtual to allow windows to choose the amount,and am trying that 2nite and then in the morning b4 work... then after work i will switch out the sticks and try it 4 a few hrs to see if there is a diff in performance.
My roommate just bought 2 sticks of RAM for her puter,, would I be able to put hers into mine,, she has a dell dimension 3100 where as mine is dell dimension 3000?? her puter is a lil over 3yrs old ,mine is 4
do viruses and such go 2 the motherboard or into the ram,, i dont want to load hers into mine if it goes 2 the ram,, she has had some problems lately with viruses and trojans.. i just cleaned my puter up from what i had, which wasnt much but still, its all gone ,i dont want to have 2 do it again.

Edited by spiritwolf1226, 15 April 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Its always better to let Windows manage pagefile size under normal conditions.

No viruses cannot enter motherboard or RAM. RAM stores nothing. As soon as you power off your PC, RAM is depleted.

One exception is rootkits that enter into BIOS but you dont have to worry about it as and such rootkits are rare to be seen and you would be exchanging RAM only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users