Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ive done it now, self fix or to the shop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 misconduct

misconduct

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Hello again
My brother dropped his Acer Aspire 5000 notebook and the male pin inside the computer for the power supply snapped off. My main concern right now is to try and get the info off his hard drive, he is a salesman and has all his quotes,contacts etc on it. Funny thing is a couple days ago I set up a home network for him so he could back up data to another computer in case something of this nature happens and guess what? He didnt do a back up and now it appears to be my problem.

Just wondering , if I take the computer apart , which im comforttable doing will I be able to remove the hard drive and somehow get the dato off it?
Im quite sure Ill be sending it to a repair guy for the broken pin problem but if I can get the info for him that would be a great help.

Any suggestions,comments would be greatly appreciated.

Once again thanks for all your help,great work!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

If you can remove the hard drive & hook it up to another computer you can resuce his personal files.
You can't save any installed programs though.

If the hard drive is SATA you should be able to put it in a computer & get the files off of it easily.

If it is a IDE drive you would need a adapter to hook it up in a desktop .

You could also check on the availability of a external USB enclosure that the drive will fit in.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 14 April 2009 - 02:55 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

thank you , ill try and post back

#4 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

Ok, I managed to get the drive out and have bought a usb to ide adapter. Just wondering now what type of software is needed. I searched the internet and there seems to be a few. Any suggestions
thanks

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

You shouldn't need any software.
The drive should show in My Computer [it will be the last letter, or new drive]
Double click it to open it
Open Documents & Settings
In one of the My Documents, or [user names] Documents you will find the personal folders/files
Right click on it
On the menu select Send to>My Documents.
That will send the folder to My Documents on the computer the drive is hooked to.
You can then burn it to a disk or use a flash drive to save it .
[Or simply use it on the computer it was transfered to]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users