Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP logs off after login

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael84

Michael84

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

My computer has not allowed me to function in normal mode recently because Windows XP logs me off my account right after I log in. I am able to boot into safe more and have run Malwarebytes, which found two Trojan viruses in my registry data, specifically HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\winlogon\userinit. I cannot copy the actual log from the computer because I am not able to access the internet in safe mode on the infected computer. I quarantined and deleted the two infected files using Malwarebytes, but am still not able to log successfully into normal mode after the removal of the files. I tried to restore my system to two previous points without any luck. Any direction you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Boot into Safe Mode. Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

Edited by Budapest, 14 April 2009 - 10:49 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Michael84

Michael84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

That didn't seem to work. Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users