Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot SD vs. SAS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

Do Spybot SD and SAS do pretty much the same thing? And can the two be run together? I know that two AV programs will conflict, was just wondering if these two would have issues.
Any recommendations as to which of the two is the better?
Right now I'm running SAS and it seems to be doing a pretty fair job.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

Two anti-spyware programs usually will not conflict. Though on a personal note I would suggest using Spyware Terminator, or Adaware.

#3 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

You can run multiple antispyware programs on your computer. In terms of which program is better, If you look in the "Am I infected" forum, you will see SAS being used. You will not see spybot s&d. See HERE about spybot's poor performance (under Free Antispyware programs). You might also want to add Malwarebyte's anti-malware (see link at the bottom of this posting). I also agree with burn1337 about Spyware Terminator. It is a free antispyware program that provides valuable real-time protection. You may download it HERE. You might be prompted about installing Clam antivirus along with spyware terminator. Make sure you uncheck it if you are already running an antivirus program (unlike antispyware programs, you only want one antivirus program). During download, you will also be prompted to download Web Security Guard Toolbar.This program is similar to McAfee Site Advisor. You can bypass the Web Security Guard by scrolling down to the Free Antispyware protection section. During Setup, you will again be prompted to download Web Security Guard. Be sure to uncheck it if you do not want it. One last program you should add is Spywareblaster. You can download it HERE. *Click Here to view the spywareblaster tutorial.

Do Spybot SD and SAS do pretty much the same thing?

They are similiar in that they are both antispyware programs. Regarding computer security, there is no one program that is 100% effective. Your best approach is to used a multi-layered approach to security.

Hope this helps..

Edited by CCRN396, 14 April 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#4 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the responses folks. I will go with Spyware Term.
Already using MBAM, run a quick scan/update every morning and a full scan once a week.
Also run an SAS scan twice a week.
Trying to keep this thing clean

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Y'all do a fabulous job.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,051 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

-- Web Security Guard is included in the download for Spyware Terminator but not required. After installation you will be prompted to Enable Web Security Guard Toolbar. This browser add-on (similar to Site Advisor) is enabled by default so be sure to uncheck the box if you do not want it installed. If you install WSG by mistake, it can easily be removed later via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

-- If you already have an anti-virus application, there is no need to install the optional Clam AntiVirus integration. ClamAV does not have a real time scanning engine but you can integrate it into ST's Realtime Shield to include virus scanning support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

One question QM7, is that WSG any good?
And I am running an AV, don't know how good it is, can't find a lot of info on it. It's Trend Micro Internet Security. I thought it might be pretty fair seeing as how Trend Micro wrote the HJT program that everyone likes to use. This may be a mistake on my part. When my subscription expires, I will be changing over to Avira. TM does have a firewall plus the Av.

Your thoughts???

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,051 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

Web Security Guard uses the Crawler Toolbar which has a blocker to help prevent visits to dangerous sites. You can hide it by right clicking near the address bar and unchecking it. ST and CToolbar automatically install into every user account on the pc - no option to install to a single user account. WSG cannot work without it, so you can choose using both or remove them.

Independent comparatives of Anti-virus Software
click on the "Comparatives" link on the left
TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons
The Best Windows Antivirus - 2008 Editions

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

Something important to add to the subject here, while two antispyware programs normally wouldn't conflict, if both of them have resident shileds active (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, etc) they will conflict. The "only one resident" rule, doesn't just apply to AVs. It applies to any/all security software. Firewalls, antivirus, anti trojans, and yes, antispyware apps as well. Last thing you want is two programs locked in a battle of will and strenght over control of your pc.

As for Trend, they are ok. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. And a side comment regarding HijackThis. It was actually written by Merijn Bellekom, an independent programmer, security researcher/expert/guru and all round nice guy. Trend bought it from him a few years ago and they have 'maintained' it since (it's been quite a while since they have done anything with it though). Just giving credit, where credit is due. :thumbsup:
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

Once again I appreciate the good info that I get here. I'll put it to good use when selecting my security programs.

Thanks again for the responses. Nice to know that there are people out there that will help a novice computer user.

I'm definitely learning from y'all. Keep up the good work.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

Trend Micro Internet Security

Defends your personal information with anti-spyware technology
Powerful anti-spyware technology guards your personal information and privacy against spyware, rootkits, and other malicious software.

Prevents unauthorized changes
Improved security policies find and stop unwanted attempts to change your operating system and critical software.

Here are 2 more components running resident protection
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Chewy
You saved my bacon the other day. Ran an MBAM scan and came back with Trojans. Jumped on here and asked for help. Was reading some other requests for help and someone with the EXACT same problem had posted. You told them that MBAM was giving false positives and to update and all would be good. I followed up on your advice to the other member and sure enough MBAM came back clean.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I thought for sure that I was in trouble.
Y'all do a helluva job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users