Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed - Please read you techy geniuses !

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maresca

maresca

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hi there, i need some help with my dying laptop.

I have a Fujistu Siemens Amilo 1505 - I've had it for a while (approx 3 years) and just recently its been playing up.

Yesterday, whilst in the middle of typing an article, the laptop went dead. When i tried to reboot it, i got a message saying:

" Error loading operating system "

I grabbed the recovery disc and after the BIOS screen, it asked if i wanted to boot from the disc, which i did. It took a while to load, and then, when it looked like it had finished, i got the windows logo and after that, a black screen.

Since then, i've tried using the recovery disc to get me into the boot menu, and managed to run 'safe mode' - this only gets me to the point where it starts loading individual files etc. but it stops at 'disk.sys' and does nothing more.

Anyone got any ideas on what to do next ???? Any help would be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

If I didn't know any better, I would say that your SATA driver didn't load
You don't happen to have an extra Cd that came with the laptop, do you?

Please check within your bios to see if AHCI is enabled, if so, change it to normal SATA and try to install again.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 maresca

maresca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

Hey there Mark, many thanks for the reply - without sounding like a complete and utter dunce, i'm not sure hot to check or change that !!!

I'm into the BIOS section, but i can't see the SATA/AHCI section - any pointers !

I do have 2 discs that came with the PC - one that operating system recovery disc and another that says has drivers on it.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Back when SATA first came out, you had to load the SATA driver when booting up the first time before installing the OS
On newer computers, you do not have to do this anymore.
Since you're using Vista, I'm assuming this is a newer computer
Anything in your BIOS referring to host controller
http://www.techmetica.com/howto/sata-ahci-...hat-does-it-do/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users